Oh My Freakin God!! Damn Freakin Car....help Now

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Oh My Freakin God!! Damn Freakin Car....help Now

Okay so I have a 94 accord ex auto, 4 dr, 4cyc. Now as of thursday my car will not start. thursday morning i drove it to school and it was fine came back tried to go out and when i turn the key i hear this really nasty grinding noise and it won't start. i turned the key 2 more times to see if it will work...but no luck. Just that nasty grinding noise...i don't know what the problem is.. is it the starter?? I replaced the starter like a year ago.... what could it be...that noise really hurts me more than my car...please help

posted by  94accordprobs

yep sound like a bad starter drive gear or a damaged tooth on the flywheel

posted by  osborste

dead batteries can make the starter sound like that, too... try jumpstarting it

posted by  dodger65

Hmmm ic ic dead batteries?? maybe i'll try to jumpstart that...someone told me that jump starting your car is really bad. is there like a real proper way of doing it??...like someone told me to just call Triple A ...cause llike the voltage or some electrical difference between the cars and the cable might be different...or should i just replace the battery??...WHich one is the negative battery cable...the red or the black?

posted by  94accordprobs

if you still have the owner's manual, there should be a section on jump starting (i wouldn't want to contradict honda...) but the positive is red, the negative is black, and you should 1) connect the red cable to the positive terminal of the "dead" car 2) connect the other end of the red cable to the positive terminal on the good battery 3) connect the black cable to the negative terminal on the dead car 4) connect the other end of the black cable to a good ground on the good battery car (generally something metal and clean, try the engine to trans bolts)
5) start the good battery car
6) wait a few minutes, then start the dead car
7) get your battery and charging system checked (some parts stores do it for free)

but check your manual, it probably has pictures

posted by  dodger65

here's a pic you should have one in your repair manual you got for the timing belt

posted by  osborste

i've heard almost dead batteries give a click sound(no spin)on a starter but not a grind(starter is spinning)

posted by  osborste

Yea i think it is the starter...cause electrical things like my radio and lights still work....so i dont' think it's adead battery...probably a starter...thanks though

posted by  94accordprobs

Your starter has a throw out bearing and soleniod. If they are shot the car makes that bad grinding niose. When you take the starter off check the ring gear that the starter turns, if the starter has been engauged while the car is running you could have torn off some teeth (see bad griding niose). Also check that the starter bolts are tight, if they are loose the gears don't engauge properly(see bad griding niose).

posted by  DaveC

your radio and lights don't use that much power, so even if it won't start it, it may still run them. the solenoid can make a sound like grinding when there isn't enough voltage to energize the magnetic coil enough to close the circuit, causing the contacts to chatter and make a sound "like" grinding. just try jumping it and tell me i'm wrong. it takes maybe 10 minutes as opposed to bs'ing around on the forum for hours just to find out that amongst all the opinions, it's a dead battery...

posted by  dodger65

so you are saying to hook up the positive to the postive the negative to the metal piece near the hood? I dont under stand I dont see were the negative and negative hook up.

Also from experience with my dads car the grindin is the fly wheel but, it is probley a starter like other posts say.

posted by  Fgreco

hook the negative up to whatever you can find that looks like bare metal. as a last resort, you can actually hook it up to the negative terminal...

posted by  dodger65

the more grinding youmake it do the more chances that you will be replacing your flywheel ring gear :mrgreen:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message