How easy is it to change a gear knob??

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  How easy is it to change a gear knob??

I bought a new gear knob for my 1998 Alfa Romeo 146 TI - was told that you just unscrew the current one then replace it with the new one. Errrrrrrrrr - nooooooooooo!!! :banghead:

I have removed all the surround on the original gear knob - that is the rubber cover and have got down to the plastic 'knob' underneath - but I cannot for the life of me find a way to unscrew it - neither can my son or my brother (just in case anyone was thinking - pffffft women!!! :screwy: ....lol)

We can't find a locking nut either - so can anyone tell me how you take the gear knob off - I can take a photo of it if that will help.

Thanks in advance

Europa

posted by  Europa

doe's the new knob have threads inside if so and the knob looks the same as your old knob
the knob may have some form of glue to lock it in place so after many mile's it will still hold tight
since the knob is down to the plastic core use a big pair of pliers /pipe wrench
twist it off counter-clockwise

posted by  osborste

Hi Osborste - thank you for your reply - I think I was afraid of grabbing it with a large pair of pliers/wrench for fear of breaking something that shouldn't be broken. I didnt realise about the glue but will get my son or brother to have a go at it.

Yes the new knob has threads inside to fit it on.

Here are the pics of the old gear knob and the new one.

Hopefully I have sorted out the attachments correctly.

Europa

posted by  Europa

the shift arm should be metal and the knob plastic i'm sure the knob will break free first

posted by  osborste

Yes it is - so will have a crack at it tomorrow and let you know - thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Europa

posted by  Europa

Your Message