On-Board Diagnostic Data Link Connector

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  On-Board Diagnostic Data Link Connector

Im was reading a repair manual online and they said that you can use a voltmeter to get error codes out of it by connecting the probes the the out wire and the ground wire in the plug. I was just wondering if anyone has used this method before and what exactly i should be looking for on the meter they showed some diagrams where i could see on or off and if it was a long or short on or off time im figuring i could either use a voltmeter like the say to use and see the results by the meter jumping up and down or possibly use a multimeter and use the circuit funtion to hear series of beaps. Am i interpreting this correctly here are some pics from the online manual.

1. Remove the under dash cover, if equipped
2. Connect an analog volt meter between the on-board diagnostics output terminal of the data link connector and ground terminal

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/killazincorp/Automotive/OBDconnector .gif

3. Turn the ignition switch ON
4. Read the output pattern from the voltmeter and record
5. Diagnose and repair the faulty components as required
6. Erase the trouble code
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 until all trouble codes are extracted

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/killazincorp/Automotive/errorcodes.g if

Last question would I be able to use a digital meter to obtain the same information? Thanks guys for all your help and sry for the big pics but its all I could get

posted by  Biniecki

well thats stupid.. if y didnt they just do the good ol' engine lights flashing. i remember reading about something like this, using analog voltmeter to check for codes.. in theory couldnt u just use a test light and count flashes?

wat vehicle?

edit: they tell u to use an analog cuz digital will be too slow to see the pulses. the analog meter, u will actually see it jump up and down and how fast.. it should have long pulses and short ones.

posted by  thongsai

its a '92 Talon that doesnt run and the owner cant tell me whats wrong with it and is selling it for cheap. All the details can be found in my other post titled something along the lines of '92 Talon wont start. Also great idea with the test light that might just work

posted by  Biniecki

Your Message