Squeling Noise From Engine

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Squeling Noise From Engine

I come from the Great White North EH! Being cold, I've been told can cause a belt to squeal. But I don't believe its the cold. Whenever I accelerate until I hit about 28km/hr it squeals. This only happens after the car has sat for several hours. However after driving for a bit, upon making a left turn it squeals once again. This happens periodically on right turns. Once again I drive a '94 Corolla. What exactly can cause this squeal?

posted by  triggerman

Hi Triggerman. It would be nice to introduce yourself first. Our resident mechanical expert loves to be greeted and I would agree that as in "real" life, one does not just walk up to someone and ask for assistance without first extending a hand or word of salutation.

This not intended to be sarcastic...you'll be quite impressed with his formidable knowledge and willingness to help.

Me on the other hand, as you can see by what my forum title suggests, am here to instigate arguments.

So...again I say "hello."

:D ;) :D

posted by  BavarianWheels

I notice you've already partaken of vwhobo's help <here> (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1582) and can personally atest to his knowledge.

:)

posted by  BavarianWheels

I won't say that the cold will make the belt squeal, it just might make it more likely. My guess from your description is you have a loose or glazed power steering belt. That would explain the noise on initial start-up, when turning and the speed related noise is most likely caused by harmonics between the engine and PS pump.

A big player in this is that when the temperature drops the PS pump has to work harder due to the increased viscosity of the fluid. You also might be spraying some slush up on the belts also which will make them scream.

At any rate ask yourself when the last time you had your belts replaced. If it's more than 30k miles it's a good time to take care of them. And don't cheap out and replace one belt, replace them all with good quality stuff.

posted by  vwhobo

Well.....................I had the car taken to a garage tonight. The belts weren't very old, we in fact replaced all the belts just this past summer. So the age of the belts wasn't a concern. Anyways I took the car in and he tightened the belts, and that annoying ass squeal is gone. Thanks a lot ) D

posted by  triggerman

Your Message