Oil Change.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Oil Change.

Hi, I had my car get an oil change maybe 5 months ago. I only put on maybe 1,000 miles. I checked the oil there is still the right amount in that I mean there is oil in the car. :laughing: . I want to know what time you should get an oil change I know they say 6 months or 3000 miles. What if you dont drive a lot? Do you still get oil change after 6 months. Or when should you get one.

posted by  Fgreco

If you don't drive a lot, it's up to you, I go by the 3,000 miles rule for mine, but then again I do drive a lot. I would recommend going every 3 months, every 6 months if you use synthetic. And also check the oil level every week out of good habit :thumbs:

posted by  SubaruCorsi

Yeah I check the oil but, what is synthetic. I dont do my own oil changes. :banghead:

posted by  Fgreco

most synthetic oils (except Redline, Mobil 1, Amsoil, and a couple of others) are not synthetic but type III petroleum basestock which has a good additive package and has been de-waxed more than most other regular oils. The mobil 1's AMSOIL and Redlines synthetic (group IV) stocks such as PAO's with similar additives

The issue for the months vs extremely low miles is not additive breakdown as much as the car is not usually driven enough warm the engine sufficiently to drive moisture out of the crankcase resulting in acids and sludging. I would not let a car go more than 6 months regardless of the oil used.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message