AC Mode Knob inop

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  AC Mode Knob inop

I have a 98 Oldsmobile Silhouette (which is also a 98 Chevy Venture/Pontiac Montanna) with a screwed up Air Conditioner. :screwy:

It blows cold air. Really cold air. Colder than a well digger's butt in Alaska cold. :asshake:

I know what you're thinking, why does a guy that lives in Alaska need Air Conditioning. Believe it or not, it gets up to 80 and 90 degrees up here. When you've just been through 50 below zero, that is uncomfortably warm. :confused:

Back to the problem at hand. Unfortunately the AC Mode Knob is not working -- it only blows cold air at my feet. The Mode Knob has been replaced, but it is still not changing the direction of where the air enters the cabin of the minivan. :banghead:

Fortunately, with the dual-climate control I can set the AC to blow full blast in the passenger section of the cabin, which cools downt he van quickly, but after ten minutes, my feet are icicles. :ohcrap:

I have a feeling there is a fuse, transistor, or something like that to blame, but wouldn't begin to know where to look for said culprit. :tard:

Any and all help would be appreciated. :thumbs:

Thanks!

posted by  Laruuk

ive been to north pole love the place, you people must hate christmas by now and satan)yes i spelt it right) that jolly fat basterd, anyway i would be checking the air box to see if the doors are in fact opening and closing, did you recently have some work done, maybe some douche left a rod off or vaccum line, i would guerss the doors arent working properly but thats a guess, merry xmas :mrgreen:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Checking the airbox. That sounds like a great idea. :thumbs:

Umm, where would I find said air box? :banghead:

This problem did not appear after work was done, it happened out of the blue. Could something be blocking the doors? Is it possible, however unlikely, that a rock/twig/gremlin's fingernail has gotten into the system? :ohcrap:

I can fix anything in my house, know very little about cars. :doh: All I do know is that you should never go to the dealer for anything after the warrenty runs out. :2cents:

posted by  Laruuk

the air box is under and behind the dash follow the sound of the blower and you found the air box the damper doors are controlled by vacuum actuators
i would start at the main vacuum hose from engine to the controls from there the vacuum would open one door closeing the other for heat or cold/ac
not to familier with the dual/seperate climate control unit maybe some kind of electric solinoid operatining a vacuum passage
i had postings on a malibu's heater box showing the vacuum actuators
i'll rescan and post

posted by  osborste

heater box (chevy malibu only for referance to the vacuum actuators)

posted by  osborste

I know what I'm doing Saturday.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know on the outcome.

posted by  Laruuk

Your Message