1989 geo spectrum timing belt help needed

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1989 geo spectrum timing belt help needed

:banghead: the timing belt broke an seeing as how i am very mechanically inclined i thought that it would be no problem. so i get the front cover off in like ten minutes, and notice a clearence problem. i pulled off the pulleys and saw the harmonic balancer, not wanting to pull the motor, idrilled a hole in the fenderwell and hooked up my puller. i proceeded to pull out half the threads out of the bolt hole on one side. i considered the large bolt in the middle and tried to remove it, turning it both directions, with a prybar wedged into the timing gear. ofcourse i broke off a tooth and some of the shroud on the block. i tried both possible ways that i have ran into and came off worse both times. i hope someone can help me because i would hate to put a new motor in it because it ran so good. if i need a new moter what are my options, ive been told it is a 2.0 and it is a 5 speed. any help is much appreciated

posted by  dano

that center bolt is holding the balancer in place
if you can lock/wedge a powerbar agaist the frame making sure the socket is on snug to the bolt then use the starter(quick clicks)to turn the bolt free
caustion here not sure if the engine is an interferance motor or not try turning it over first full 360 deg making sure pistons dont hit the open valves in the cylinder head if it turn the full 360 then go ahead
another trick is to remove a spark plug and fill the cylinder with 1/4 inch rope through the plug hole as you turn the engine the rope will lock the engine's rotation then you should be able to remove the bolt

posted by  osborste

Or you can try a impact gun. You shouldn't need to lock the motor up if you use one, I've seen people take off VW flywheel thats torqued to 150 ft.lbs. without locking them up.

posted by  x1/9-rally

you know i see this posting alot if the guy had air tools i dont think he'd be here asking :thumbs:

posted by  osborste

no air tools but i will try the starter trick. i know i have valve clearence so that should be fine. hopefully the motor turns the right way to loosen the bolt and not break it off. thanks for the help

posted by  dano

Your Message