Electrical Prob.on 1988 Dodge D100

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Electrical Prob.on 1988 Dodge D100

:cussing: I shut off the engine after a shopping trip. Tried to start the next day with no luck. I had no voltage to the coil when cranking. The Auto shut down relay was closing for a few seconds then opening. I checked fuses,
relays,and for bad connections. Engine ran,took me 1/2 mile from home and quit again. I have changed the computer and the ignition switch. Tried for two hours to get it running. After giving up I tried one more time and the engine started. It's running great,but I can't trust it without knowing what caused it.
Any help is appreciated.

posted by  DirtyDog

need to know for those two hours was there spark ? was the fuel pump working? was there power to the ignition coil?
what did you check for 2 hrs ??

posted by  osborste

Hi glad for the reply. No spark or voltage to the coil except when the ignition was first turned on. No voltage when cranking to the coil or fuel pump.The auto shut down relay was only closing when the ign. was first turned on. Checked the auto shutdown for opens and it is fine. For two hours I was removing the large plugun from the firewall and cleaning and coating it with silicone grease. Also cutting the wire loom and looking for bad connections. I moved everything I could get hold of after the engine started running trying to get it to quit so I could get an idea of what was ailing it.
Thanks for the help.

posted by  DirtyDog

this was tricky 88's dont show asd but dodge changed everything in 89 look's like you got an early 89
the asd relay is controlled by the computer
the computer takes the signal from the distributor pick-up(base of the dist) and activates the asd relay during startup/running
the computer also controls the grounding of the injectors and ignition coil(ignition/fuel timing)

my thoughts here are to test the ceramic resistor's resistance(ohm's)
test the ignition module
the ignition coil for resistance and any damage(leaking)
if all this checks out then start to look at the computer connections and the computer it self
the pic's are of all the parts to check

posted by  osborste

:laughing: :thumbs: Hi and thank you a bunch. I don't have an ignition module or a resistor even a voltage regulator,but you found the problem for me. The distributor module was defective. I tried to start the engine before I replaced anything and it was dead. Replaced the module and away it went.
Thumbs up and a bunch of atta boys.
Greatfull in Missouri

posted by  DirtyDog

The distributor pickup was the culpret.

posted by  DirtyDog

Your Message