Air Flow Meter

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Air Flow Meter

I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup 4cly 4wd that i have been working on and i found that the air flow meter was defective, i also found that replacing this part is expensive. So in order to get the truck to run instead of replacing the part i put the fuel pump on a toggle switch to bypass the meter (which contains a switch for the fuel pump). Now the vehicle is getting fuel and runs with the fuel pump on a switch. the truck has corect timing but when i was ready to go for a test drive i put the air box on and plugged in the air flow meter, the engine immediatly started pulsing, revving up then almost shutting off compleatly over and over again. i was just wondering if the airflow meter was nessesary for the vehicle to run propperly without the meter connected being the fuel pump is now on a switch. i was also wondering of the airflow meter has any other functions other than the fuel pump switch and of course monitoring air flow.

I appologise for the length of the post and would appreciate any suggestions.

posted by  vette2004

no wrecking yard in your area
check for one www.car-part.com online link to multiple wrecking yards usa/canada cities
the air flow meter monitor's the air going in and help to adjust fuel/air ratio and probably a few other adjustment for the engine

is this the part (attachment)

posted by  osborste

Your Message