upgrade rear-end & Tranny on S10 for V8

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  upgrade rear-end & Tranny on S10 for V8

my 94 S10 is gonna get a crate 350 (330HP) put in it. Its a 4 cylinder 5 speed right now. What would be the best recomended rear end and tranny (standard) for it.(I want good top end but also good bottom end.) Any suggestions would be much appreciated. THANX :doh:

posted by  DaMiEn_0607

Yeah... right. :doh: Can't have both.

posted by  DodgeRida67

i meant just even it out i would want maybe a little more light to light action my dad had a 63 chev truck with a 400 small block in it, turbo 400 tranny with a shift kit and a 3500 stall converter. went like snot off the line and on the hWY too

posted by  DaMiEn_0607

Even it out would be mid-range and light to light would be low end. :doh: You gotta make up your mind. :drool:

Anyway, if you're getting a crate motor you really don't have a choice unless you swap the cam. Maybe it'll come with what you need, I don't know. You just need your rear gear ratio to work with your cam and tire height to give you what you're looking for. Basically getting in the right RPM range for what speed you want the torque to peak at.

posted by  DodgeRida67

BTW, why not a chevy 383 stroker in that s10?

posted by  DodgeRida67

ya i would love a 383 stroker i wanted one in my 80 short box but i ended up getting my 454 SS. I just figure its cheaper to get the crate engine, its new and i can still do anything to it

posted by  DaMiEn_0607

383's are good engines but IMO the 350 is a little better. Its a little easier to get power out of (as far as i know. may be wrong). You need to have the 4 bolt main one though if you want big power.

posted by  car_crazy89

you could put a 5 or 6 speed behind it (depending on your budget), and, if you put a GOOD posi carrier in the existing 7-5/8 in it, you can use that rearend with a steep gear and a cam that gives you good top end...

posted by  dodger65

not much of a budget,im kinda doing things a little at at time over this fall/winter. im a little worried about stuffing the 350 in it. (Will it fit without any major modifications to the inner fenders and firewall? and what bout the tranny too. is it gonna fit where its supposed to go? Regardless, I know people do it all the time so its gonna happen!!

posted by  DaMiEn_0607

Your Message