Suspension is done

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Suspension is done

Hi, yet another problem of mine. If I drive over a small bump in the road the rear end of the automobile bounces up and down continuously. After looking at the car from the side, I noticed that it was riding low. I checked around the tire and found the spring to be rather compressed. My conclusion is that the shocks are done. How can I be absolutely sure that they're done and how much are they to be replaced? Again i drive a '94 Toyota Corolla. Is it safe to drive the car like this? Thanks

posted by  triggerman

Replacing the rear struts will stop the continuing bounce after hitting a bump but... The car is held up by the springs so if there is a ride height problem that is where you need to look first. Of course you also need to look for damaged suspension components as well.

And yes, worn struts are a safety issue because of deteriorated handing and braking capabilities. Depending on where you live and where you get the job done expect $200-$400 parts and labor.

posted by  vwhobo

Is it possible for it to break through the trunk, and if so how long before this will happen?

posted by  triggerman

Generally speaking the only way your strut is going to go up through the body is severe crash damage or severe rust. If your car is in that bad of shape you're probably throwing good money after bad by repairing it.

posted by  vwhobo

Alright thanks a lot. No the car isn't rusted its only a 94. Well........its 10 years old. But the car is pheonominal. However, would a large enough bump do the trick? Around here there are some large holes.

posted by  triggerman

You know the condition of your car much better than I do. Combine that knowledge with the info I have provided to formulate your answer.

By the way, I can show you three year old cars that have begun returning to the earth so I can't assume your car is rust free only by the age.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message