ENGINE LIGHT HELP!?!?!?!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  ENGINE LIGHT HELP!?!?!?!

Hey I need some help, Im about to buy a car and and its a '91 honda civic hatch back. The guy im buying it from put a new 1.5L. sohc but i dont know what year it is. He said that the engine light comes on when he's low on gas and when he floors is the light comes on but other than that it harley ever comes on. He said that it has sometihng to do with like the fuel lines or something. If anyone has any info on what it might be Pleezzzzz help me. Thanks.

posted by  gonesurfing04

yeah. dont buy the car!

posted by  SuperJew

Hey why do you say not to buy the car for?

posted by  gonesurfing04

why shouldn't you buy the car?

i've got one damn good reason

this means that the guy selling it doesn't know what year he put in, which means he didn't know what he was doing (or it means you didn't ask, if so, then the answer might change)

and the other stuff you described sounds like the car just has issues, they may not be big ones, but until you get it checked out by a mechanic, you wont' know if they are big issues

is there any particular reason why you are hunting this type of car down? or are you just looking for something reliable/fast/sporty/whatever?

posted by  asa67_stang

If he knows what the problem is (he doesn't) why doesn't he just fix it. The car will be worth more and he can get more money for it then.

Being low on gas WILL NOT make the check engine light come on. He has a mess on his hands and is trying to unload it on you. If you really have to have this car, take it to a shop and find out how much it'll cost to fix BEFORE you buy it. If he did a butcher job on the engine change you might not even find a shop that will work on it. My advice is to find a different car.

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah I dont know what year the engine is cause i didnt ask him but he does, and he said that he got it checked out and they said that it was like the fuel lines or something like that i dont quite remember but he said that it wasnt a big deal and that he would get it fixed for me if i wanted too and i told him i did but I want to know what it is incase I have anytihng like that again and was just wondering if anyone out there might have any answeres.

posted by  gonesurfing04

Okay, first off take a deep breath and use some periods.

Now I'll make this a clear and simple as I can. He is blowing smoke up your ass. He is looking for a sucker to buy his car. Diagnosing a drivability problem online is difficult enough when you have all of the pertinent information, we do not. Purchase this car at your own peril. If it wasn't a big deal it would already be fixed.

Is that clear and simple enough?

posted by  vwhobo

dont be so picky about PERIODS VWHOBO, you are old but not old enough to complain about grammer, who cares, why do you care?

posted by  stringer001

because it's easier to read something when there is punctuation know what i mean it's the difference in trying to pay attention to someone who is talking like they are on speed and someone who is relaxed and trying to explain something do you get the idea now if not read below

Because it's easier to read something when there is punctuation, know what i mean? It's the difference in trying to pay attention to someone who is talking like they are on speed, and someone who is relaxed and trying to explain something. Do you get the idea now?

now capitalization, i could care less for that, but that's just me

posted by  asa67_stang

Hey little man, instead of baggin' on me, why don't you tell us everything you know about this guy's problem and how to fix it? Oh that's right, you already did.

posted by  vwhobo

your always baggin my grammer so how about we stop baggin eachother hey?

and to be honest i dont have a clue how to fix his problem, unless he smashes that light.

posted by  stringer001

Well Stringer, since you've clearly demonstrated on several occassions and numerous levels that you are worthless to this chat room on the basis of your technical knowledge.....why don't you you piss off mate? This is a car chat room and none of us want to sit here and read about you and how you fix your "globes." What the hell is that and where are you from? Only context clues from the original posting could have possibly clued me in as to what you might be blabbering about. No offense, but I come in here to pose real car problems so that I may get real car solutions and from the responses that I have read of yours, you're clueless. So get out. If you are trying to learn, then read what people are typing and then read the responses from the knowledgable folks in here and learn something from it. Don't running your trap about things that no one cares about....IE) none car issues....and furthermore saying things that have no credibility and admitting when asked for your technical expertise that you have none. This room is for people with knowledge as far as replys are concerned, so if you don't have any, then BYEBYE!

posted by  cmeseadoin

Perhaps you would like to join us in the "Asian Imports" forum. We're trying to find out exactly what "somewhat-forged" pistons are, with no luck I might add.

posted by  vwhobo

:D :D :thumbs:

posted by  lectroid

If someone asks how to fix a globe i will try to help him, and im not here to teach im here to learn.

posted by  stringer001

cmeseadoin...you clearly havent read many of vwhobo's posts...when someone asks a legit question he answers them - no questions asked.

posted by  SuperJew

Ya right!!! He didn't answer mine. He just got pissed that I didn't introduce myself. Eh, that is over now though.

I don't get why anyone would wan't to buy a car knowingly that the check engine light turns on, on a regular basis. Check engine lights mean something. CHECK ENGINE!

posted by  drowningseason99

What pisses me off is people putting words in my mouth. I said "I'm a little fed up with people who just come here, ask a question and disappear".

posted by  vwhobo

actually, if you wanna get technical with it...
he did answer your question, you just didn't supply enough info

posted by  asa67_stang

:popcorn:

posted by  Satty101

VWHOBO wrote

"Okay, first off take a deep breath and use some periods.

Now I'll make this a clear and simple as I can. He is blowing smoke up your ass. He is looking for a sucker to buy his car. Diagnosing a drivability problem online is difficult enough when you have all of the pertinent information, we do not. Purchase this car at your own peril. If it wasn't a big deal it would already be fixed.

Is that clear and simple enough?"

How clearer can it be? The car has issues, could be small, could cost major bucks to correct. It's your money :rolleyes:

posted by  lectroid

hey Satty, hows that popcorn?

posted by  SuperJew

damn good...Butterlovers.

posted by  Satty101

What pisses me off is people putting words in my mouth. I said "I'm a little fed up with people who just come here, ask a question and disappear"

^^^^^^^^^^^
quote by vwhobo

you bag people who come and go
and you bag me and want me to leave the forums and im here to stay.

so make up your mind which you prefer coz if you dont like both then no one will be on these forums to use your excelent mechanic knowledge.

posted by  stringer001

WTF is your problem little boy? Another case of putting words into my mouth for some type of personal gain. Please direct me to where I said you should leave this forum. You are getting more annoying every day.

posted by  vwhobo

lets see if he actually backs up his words or pulls a spirited driver... :D

posted by  SuperJew

You and Satty should get on his ass for making teenagers look stupid.

I personally think he missed his calling. Instead of becoming a mechanic he could have a good career as the poster child for birth control.

posted by  vwhobo

yeah this was probably him in his youth....

http://www.glumbert.com/pictures/images/37.jpg

(sorry bout the language on the shirt...too lazy to get rid of it)

posted by  SuperJew

Just get over it and forgive me vwhobo im willing to check all my posts for spelling and grammer and stuff if u stop bagging me.

posted by  stringer001

Just ribbing ya man. It's cool. No one can really put words in your mouth though. This is a forum where typing is involved, no verbal announcements. haha j/k

posted by  drowningseason99

Superjew, what does this mean......"cmeseadoin...you clearly havent read many of vwhobo's posts...when someone asks a legit question he answers them - no questions asked." ???????

If you had read many of my posts and thought about it for more than three seconds before posting a reply purely from your asshole, you would understand that I am in complete agreement with VWHOBO on many of the issues brought forth in this chat arena. I have no idea where your comment in the above statement came from, however, I will make a deal with you....I won't try and figure it out because I have a hard time making sense of "stupid."

If you'll notice, VWHOBO responds to most postings in here and if the person asks a clear and concise question, he answers it accordingly, whereas, if the person is uninformed and does not clearly explain the problem in a technical fashion, he will point it out to them in no uncertain terms and deservingly so. It may seem harsh at times but I do the same thing because it is common sense that with something as detailed as a vehicle, nevermind we are all trying to solve and repair problems online, you need details to be able to start troubleshooting.

I am not sure where you are coming from in telling me that I have not "read many of VWHOBO's postings," but I can tell you I come here JUST to read his posts because he knows much about vehicles. Matter of fact, I am sure I have read more of them than you have. Most of the time I read and just gain the knowledge rather than running my mouth like many of you do which does nothing but posts worthless garbage that none of us care about in a technical forum while taking up bandwidth.....but sometimes (like this) I can't help but to call your bluff.

So.... my condolences to you, shoo fly... shoo...!!

posted by  cmeseadoin

Well Stringer, we all can appreciate your willingness to help out, here is the problem: How can you call what you are doing "helping" when you don't have a clue. See Stringer, when you ask a question in here, it is nice to get the CORRECT answers so that you don't end up fucking your vehicle up. So my advise to you would be common sense for me.....if I don't know the answer, I will do one of two things: A) sit back and let someone else who hopefully knows take it, or B) only post information that I know to be fact that is relevant to the posting. This is a very good rule to go by as we all know that posting reply's from your asshole is the most stupid thing you could do on top of the fact that if you don't have the CORRECT answers, then don't open your mouth only to decrease your credibility.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Well Stringer, we all can appreciate your willingness to help out, here is the problem: How can you call what you are doing "helping" when you don't have a clue. See Stringer, when you ask a question in here, it is nice to get the CORRECT answers so that you don't end up fucking your vehicle up. So my advise to you would be common sense for me.....if I don't know the answer, I will do one of two things: A) sit back and let someone else who hopefully knows take it, or B) only post information that I know to be fact that is relevant to the posting. This is a very good rule to go by as we all know that posting reply's from your asshole is the most stupid thing you could do on top of the fact that if you don't have the CORRECT answers, then don't open your mouth only to decrease your credibility.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Damn I hate when the server does that

posted by  cmeseadoin

damn i hate when you do that. prepare for smokage by mr. hobo.

posted by  SuperJew

Why am I getting drug into this. I'm busy eating :popcorn:

posted by  vwhobo

i think you mean dragged

and im not going to argue with csmeafaggot...why?

http://www.ianai.net/jokes/forumpix/arguing.jpg

posted by  SuperJew

Your Message