My 1991 Buick Regal 3800 3.8L

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  My 1991 Buick Regal 3800 3.8L

Can someone help me, my car has the following lights on Check Gages, service Engine, and Low coolant. I have already read the codes from the ECM and got code 41 the cam sensor. So I went out and replaced it and I replaced the Coolant Temp. Sensor. Reseted the ECM and the service engine light goes off for a few and comes right back with code 41. I was reading over the manual for the car and it was saying that the ECM might be a defective if codes like 41 are present. Is there any way to test the ECM to check and see if it is working (note: the ECm has been replaced by previous owner).

Also, I started to check my fuses to see if that had any part in this problem and I notice that when I pull a certain fuse out the gas gauge falls to nearly empty (before removing I notice Low Fuel light is on) and the FUel light goes off. Could the problem be a wiring?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post

posted by  kodak06

code 41 in my manual is telling me the cam sensor curcuit
this and the crankshaft sensor send info to the ignition module then to the ecm. the ecm decide's timing and sends info back to the ignition module to fire the coils
the wires from the cam sensor to the ignition module should be checked then if good then check the wires from ignition module to ecm if they are good then the module or the ecm may have internal problems

posted by  osborste

What advice can you give me? I have some pictures I will upload them later if that will help. Is replacing the ECM probably the main option for me? It has been replaced and looks used. are remanufatured parts ok to put in cars? I heard it isn't really a good choice. THanks

kodak06

posted by  kodak06

I just replaced the ECU in the car and that wasn't the problem. THis is begining to drive me crazy. I still get code 41 after I reseted the ECU. Not to mention that the low coolant light is still on. But back to code 41, does the magnetics cube that is in the cam sensor a major part of it's function? Please Advise I need to get this car to be clear of all problems for a trip I am taking.

Please note, that I am still capable of driving the car, runs great and smooth.

ALso the Fuel gage is messed up. Low fuel light comes up but gage reads 3/4 and I put 5 dollars worth of gas and the light still stays on but the gage goes up a bit between 3/4 and full. Please advise.

posted by  kodak06

these wiring diagrams should help you understand it a little more
the low fuel and low coolant are on float sensors which have likely gone bad
as for code 41 follow the wire's from the cam sensor as i posted they need to be checked for continuity(breaks/cuts/broken)then since you tried another ecm already now have the ignition module tested

posted by  osborste

alright I do what you say, but does this make a difference that the car still runs great and has to stalling and unexpected shutting downs. I will perform that test that you mention. and thanks for the advice.

posted by  kodak06

I noticed some pin holes in the wires where they are connected to the ECU, It looks like the previous owners poked them to test? probably, could that be a problem. I also noticed another ECU like thing behind the glove box, was is it? and do I need to take a look at it and test it? I also noticed that the sensor connected to the radiator (passanger side) looks a little worn out and the radiator is brand new. Please advise, thanks.

kodak06

posted by  kodak06

Your Message