350 Turbo Slippage?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  350 Turbo Slippage?

I've got a FirebirdTA and a 350 turbo tranny, I don't know alot about tranny's. But ever time I put it in gear it dosn't go right away, it sets there just a sec then it goes into gear, if I rev it up it seems to go to gear quicker. I've changed filter, fluid, and modulator valve and nothing helped. So does anyone have any ideas? :?:

posted by  SouthernThunder

hey, what fluid have you checked your transmition fluid or the fluid in your diff? coz it'd pay to check both.

posted by  stringer001

Most likely from your description the pump seals are bad. Fairly common problem on high mileage TH350's. The longer you drive it the better chance you have of burning the clutches and havint to do a full rebuild.

Somehow I don't think the differential fluid level would have much to do with his trans not going into gear. :rolleyes:

posted by  vwhobo

:?: Hobo. How difficult is it for a novice to replace the pump seals? Not including dropping the pan and replacing filter and gasket>

posted by  lectroid

On a TH350 it's actually pretty simple, once you get the transmision out of the car. You don't even need any special tools... But special language comes in handy sometimes (s@(^*$!, f(@&_)^!, etc). :twisted:

posted by  vwhobo

Pulling the tranny is more than I would do anyway.

posted by  lectroid

The vacuum modulator affects shift timing and quality, not simply going into gear. It will shift into gear with the modulator removed (you'll have a hell of a leak though). Just because the trans was "rebuilt" doesn't mean it was done right. Even if it was built right, people sometimes do make mistakes during assembly. Seals in a rebuilt but unused trans have a shelf life of years, unless they came in contact with an inapropriate chemical.

Bottom line is, I can't see your trans but... From your description I'm 99% sure it's pump seals.

posted by  vwhobo

Gee im a n00b, of course the oil in the diff has nothing to do with it... nevermind me eveyone im only an apprentice, my knowledge is little and hell stupid.

posted by  stringer001

Most likely from your description the pump seals are bad. Fairly common problem on high mileage TH350's. The longer you drive it the better chance you have of burning the clutches and havint to do a full rebuild.

Somehow I don't think the differential fluid level would have much to do with his trans not going into gear. :rolleyes:[/quote

Thx for the info but the Tranny was just rebuilt about 8 months ago BUT it set with no fluid in it for about 5 to 5 1/2 mths before instalation, and someone told me that could of dryed my seals out and now causing the slippage, becuase it takes it just a min to builted up vacume to shift. Could this be true? :?

posted by  SouthernThunder

Yeah ive already posted about that and so has vwhobo, no need to add it aswell.

posted by  stringer001

Your Message