Brakes

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Brakes

Hi guys
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what are the benefits of having a brake system at each wheel as oppoesed to having one at the engine, specifically in an AWD car where all four wheels are powered.

posted by  mattk

well, I would think haveing 4 is better than one. I am really have not clue with cars but, that is what I would think dont take my advise too seriously becuase I am not a mechanic. I am just trying to help but, I probably should keep my mouth shut :laughing:

hope you find out soon and I hope I helped if any.

posted by  Fgreco

I didn't know that you could have brakes at the engine? I dont see how that would work.

posted by  jarvisx2000

Never heard of brakes at the engine (trans brake though but thats racing) but i know like in Monster trucks they have one brake in/near the middle on the axle that stops both wheels. It works better and faster then having one brake at each wheel.

posted by  car_crazy89

I think he means the engine break while downshifting

posted by  99integra

I guess you could compression brake, but if you are talking about locking up the engine, then you can get a feel for it by slamming an auto into reverse gear at speed. :wink2:

posted by  Wally

well, you couldn't have one at the engine b/c you'd kill the motor when you stopped. after the transmission (like on the driveshaft) was actually used on some early cars... i'm figuring that...

1) you get more overall braking area w/ 4 brakes than you would with one big one.

2) that one big brake would probably upset some styling/design conventions, b/c it'd be pretty darn big.

3) 4 brakes on a split system means that if you lose one circuit, you still have 2 wheels trying to stop you--if that one big brake fails...aim for something soft!

that's what i think, anyway...

posted by  dodger65

In addition to heat build up and servicability of the system. I am thinking that a single system would probably require removal of the transmission, a 4 to 6 hour job. As opposed to the 4 wheel system which requires removal of the wheel which takes 4 to 6 minutes. Much less the wear on the drive components using them to stop a car constantly would surely cause cv joints to be stressed beyond any reasonable, usable equipment. :smoke:

posted by  srober32

Your Message