Pennsylvania Emissions Question

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Pennsylvania Emissions Question

i had a question about emission testing in Pennsylvania that i cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone i talked to. i know in pa anything pre 1975 does not have to have emissions testing done, i also know that anything driven under 5000 miles a year is also considered exempt, so here is my question. i have a 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo that i drive less than 5000 miles a year, but it does have an open exhaust. i was just curious if i would still get an emissions exempt sticker for it since it is an 85 and driven less than 5000 miles a year even though it is open exhaust. my other question is would it have to still be tested in order to get an emissions exempt sticker?

posted by  Kyle5113

That would be a question you need to address to your local or state air pollution control board or whomever oversees vehicle emmissions testing in your area.

A word of wisdom - if the cats have been removed, and the car driven on the road, the car is in violation of Federal law anyway regardless of the milage driven since it is illegal to tamper or disable the emmission control equipment

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Unless it is not the original engine. :2cents:

posted by  srober32

Found this on the Pennsylvania Emmissions Testing website FAQS page...
How is a Visual Anti-Tampering Check performed?
A certified technician will look for the presence of the following emission control devices:
• Catalytic converter,
• Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve,
• Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve,
• Fuel inlet restrictor,
• Air pump, and
• Evaporative control system components such as vapor canisters and lines.
The certified technician will also determine if these devices are properly connected and if they are the correct type for the vehicle being inspected. These components may be original vehicle equipment or an equivalent aftermarket replacement component meeting the same standards. Only those components (listed above) that were part of the original certified vehicle configuration are subject to this portion of the inspection. If a component was not originally on a vehicle at the time of manufacturer, it will pass
inspection without it.

What constitutes tampering?
The rule of thumb when it comes to emissions systems is that any modification that changes the vehicle from a certified configuration to a non-certified configuration is considered tampering. This applies to both vehicle owners and repair facilities and is therefore a Federal offense. Replacing a catalytic converter with a straight pipe is one traditional example of tampering. Likewise, overriding the OBD system through the use of high-tech defeat devices, non-certified computer chips, etc., would also be
considered tampering.

ALSO:
Most 1975 and newer model-year vehicles will be required to have a Gas Cap
Test and a Visual Anti-Tampering Check performed annually.

Are any vehicles exempt from Pennsylvania’s emissions program?
Yes. Vehicles will be exempt from the program if:
• the vehicle has been owned for one year and driven less than 5,000 miles in the prior year. However, motorists must go to an emissions inspection station to verify the vehicle’s mileage and receive an exemption sticker. Motorists can do this when they get their safety inspection if the station performs both types of inspections.
• the vehicle is a new car, not previously titled and has less than 5,000 miles
before registration; motorists should receive an exemption sticker valid for up to 12 months upon receipt of the new car from your new car dealer.
Exemptions are determined by a certified emissions inspector.

Will motorists still need an emissions inspection sticker if their vehicle is exempt from the emissions inspection program?
Yes. Even if the vehicle is exempt from the emissions inspection program motorists will still need to go to an inspection station to receive an exemption sticker for the vehicle. The station can charge a fee to issue an exemption sticker.

Are any vehicles excluded from Pennsylvania’s emissions program?
Yes. Vehicles will be excluded from the program if:
• the vehicle is registered as a street rod, classic, collectible, antique or specially constructed vehicle and motorcycles.
Vehicles excluded from the program will not have the “Emissions Inspection
Required/Diesel Vehicles Exempt” message in their registration card.

posted by  97Talonchik

I recently got mycar inspected, chek engine light was on, car still runs well, but it passed emissions, due to being under 5000 miles.Is 5000 miles the most you can have to be emission exempt, could it still pass with engine light on.The vehicule is 13 years old with 124,000 miles.

60gol   17 Oct 2012 23:31

Your Message