What makes an 02 sensor blow over and over?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  What makes an 02 sensor blow over and over?

(I have posted here recently and the prognosis was a blown or cracked head gasket. That was checked out thoroughly and is not what the problem is. The car's not even overheating anymore for some reason!) I have a '93 sunbird, 4cyl 2.0L with OHC. I have recently had problems with it running really rough, sputtering and shaking violently on acceleration and it wont get past 20mph sometimes. I have horrible gas mileage- I drive a total of 6 miles to work and back and it takes $30 a week in gas. I took it to a mechanic and they replaced the O2 sensor and it fixed it for about a week. Then the same symptoms, starting out hardly sputtering at all and gradually building up to the symptoms I mentioned at the beginning of this message. I took it back to the mechanic and he replaced the 02 sensor again with the excuse that he must have used a bad part. Again a week later the same thing happened. My husband took the sensor off completely and I was able to drive it for a couple of weeks but it acted as if I were pushing on the gas pedal and letting off repeatedly even though I wasn't. Then it got worse so he managed to put another sensor on just so I could drive to work for another week. When it messed up and he took it off I can't even keep it running. It cuts off not long after I start it and I can't even move and inch. (He doesn't know anything about the newer car motors, only the older ones) He did manage to change the MAP sensor also but it didn't help. I took it yesterday to a different mechanic and he says it's either the fuel pump relay or something to do with the timing belt but I had a new timing belt put on in February when I had my water pump replaced. I need a second opinion on what this mechanic says because I don't want to pay another hundred and fifty dollars or more just to drive it for a week. The mechanics are fixing the result of the problem but they aren't finding the cause! What in the world makes a car blow so many 02 sensors? I can't even get tags because it wont pass emissions and they went out in April! Thanks in advance.

posted by  stresstime

so ur saying the new o2 sensors fix it for awhile but something always messes it up? wat i would do is check is a get a coolant pressure test to check for internal engine leaks.. Im guessing u have a leak in the engine and ur burning coolant.. o2 sensors dont like coolant too much.

edit: while you are checking stuff.. check for leaks in the exhaust system. anything between the engine and o2 sensor. it could have a leak and making the o2 sensor reporting a lean condition then the computer will keep tryin to dump more gas in the engine.

posted by  thongsai

get new car stop spending money on stuff if their just gunna blow or break

posted by  google.com

[QUOTE=thongsai]so ur saying the new o2 sensors fix it for awhile but something always messes it up? wat i would do is check is a get a coolant pressure test to check for internal engine leaks.. Im guessing u have a leak in the engine and ur burning coolant.. o2 sensors dont like coolant too much.

Thanks Thongsai. I will get the mechanic to do that before replacing something else.
Hey, google...I'd love nothing more than to buy a new car and drive this one off of a cliff but I just don't have that option right now. Hard times here and no down payment. This piece of *!%@ won't get me a hundred dollars as a trade in, either.

posted by  stresstime

Just about anything, but standard exhaust can kill the sensor. Have you used any injector cleaner lately, had a coolant leak, applied silicone sealant to the engine gaskets, had oil loss?

posted by  Wally

I used some injector cleaner a couple of months ago. I also have a cracked reservoir tank that I have to keep checking the water level of. I noticed that this problem started about a couple of weeks after I got a plastic shopping bag seared to the underside of my car. I didn't even know it until I kept smelling a burnt plastic smell and had no idea why. I looked underneath my car and there was the bag melted to the muffler. It sounds dumb but the problems started then. Is there any way that melted plastic could screw up something to do with the exhaust and then lead up to all of this? (Forgive my stupidity...)

posted by  stresstime

Probably not the cause of the problems but things like that tend to make us look more closely for something to go wrong, causing us to find something we would have over looked before.

posted by  srober32

Your Message