A problem I had

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  A problem I had

The alternator went on my 86 accord. I was just wondering how you 'properly' remove it? after I got all the bolts and brackets for the alternator off I just couldnt get it out, it would not fit out the bottom because the axle is in the way, it wouldn't come out of the top either because there just wasnt enough room inbetween the motor and the inner fender. I was going to pull the axle off when me neighbour came over. He told me to just undo a motor mount and jack up the side of the motor and pull it through. That is how I did it. But is there an easier way or is that how it is supposed to be done? I mean thats alot of work just to change an alternator.

posted by  jarvisx2000

Did you try turning the front wheels? That will realign the tie rods if that's what is in your way.

posted by  bbaddog

well...did you?

posted by  bbaddog

i've had to do a couple of 88's and i just unbolted a couple of things (the brackets that hold hoses and cables & removed the speedo cable) and slid it out behind the intake...

posted by  dodger65

Turning the wheels makes no difference, and I unbolted everything I could at that side of the engine and it just wouldn't come out, I would imagine my frustration with it didn't help it coming out either.

posted by  jarvisx2000

you unbolted stuff on which side? i ended up actually removing the alternator above the transmission... on the pass side...

posted by  dodger65

Well thats interesting, I didn't even try that, i was trying to bring it straight up through, if it ever goes again that will be the first thing i try, that never even crossed my mind to try bringing I over to the other side, I assumed it wouldnt fit over there.

posted by  jarvisx2000

yeah, it was kinda like a maze... only reason i did it was my friend that owned the car was told that it takes 4 hours to change one of those & i told him it could be done in 1/2 hour... :hi: :smoke:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message