Loyal wife

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Loyal wife

Cam sensor needed. 96 cutlass 12 Ohm exterior. GM wasn't aware of the engineer's engine block change & doesn't make this part. Have looked for 2 years.

posted by  Jan Johnson

have you checked wrecking yards?

posted by  jarvisx2000

yes...It's been very difficult to locate a 96 Cutlass engine. The one we pulled out of the car was stolen in a break-in we had. The cam sensor and other parts were still on it. We replaced all of the missing parts except this #*!@# cam sensor.

posted by  Jan Johnson

What motor is in the car?

posted by  jarvisx2000

3100 They tested a cam sensor that had been exterior & they changed to an interior sensor. The designer's ended up modifying the block by putting a hole in it to accomodate the sensor harness. Before the change was complete, there were a few cars that got stuck in the transition. This sensor we need was one of the sensors they built for the "transition" phase. It's 2 wires interior with a higher Ohm reading than the 3 wire, 8 Ohm exterior part of the harness.

posted by  Jan Johnson

I cannot find any information on this at all, I wish you best of luck and you could always drop a 3.8 in that car and have alittle more power, I think it drops right in without any modification at all :wink2:

posted by  jarvisx2000

Me too, no luck either. I would also recommend an engine transplant. Sorry

posted by  hondaman

[QUOTE=jarvisx2000]I cannot find any information on this at all, I wish you best of luck and you could always drop a 3.8 in that car and have alittle more power, I think it drops right in without any modification at all :wink2:
Thank you for trying to help!

posted by  Jan Johnson

Also an engine swap might be in your best interest just for the reason if that part ever broke or stopped working you would be SOL again.

posted by  jarvisx2000

i would highly recommend not putting that 3.8 grenade in it if the car isn't worth all that money buy something more reliable , it's pretty hard to find a wrecker motor that someone actually took care of, and when the manufacturer of the motor had to update the oil caps to say 10-30 cuz the motor will blow up on 5-30 you know something is ****ed, just my opinion, i would go get a new car and fire bomb the old one

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

THERE SHOULD BE A GM PART NUMBER STAMPED ON THE SENSOR YOU HAVE .
CALL YOUR LOCAL DEALER OR CALL ME AT HALL CHEVROLET
1-800-676-4255 ASK FOR SAM IN PARTS

posted by  WEDOGMPARTS

i don't know if it's still pertinent, but check advanceautoparts.com. i found a few possibles for your car, and they have pics on that website, so you ought to be able to identify yours...

i realize this is an old post, but just thought i'd answer, since someone else already did...

posted by  dodger65

I always found it strange that they didnt put a 3800 in those cars. Well, I have no idea where you would be able to find one except the junk yards. I would also recommend a engine transplant (3800 V6), or just getting a new car. Sorry :ohcrap:

posted by  FordFromHell351

they actually did put the 3.8 in w-body regals for a while. you could use that as a transplant template and parts source... :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message