Foamy power steering fluid

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Foamy power steering fluid

Greetings all,
I am an auto mechanic strictly out of necessity, in other words, tight on money and do what I can, myself. For that reason I apprecieate any help web sites like this can offer me, more than you'll ever know.
Here's what I am presently facing. In recent days, weeks, I have noticed a vibration along with a deep noise that seems to happen only when I am turning the steering wheel away from center, both being more pronounced when slowing down to make turns. Today I went to check my power steering fluid as I felt it might be associated with the vibration/noise. When I removed the cap and looked into the p/s tank it was half empty and was foamy on the surface. It is customary for p/s fluid to be foamy when checked?
Oh yea, the vehicle in question is a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier, with.p/s, p/b, a/t, p/w, a/c. Any and all help is gladly welcome and appreciated, thank you in advance.

stahlmark@yahoo.com

posted by  stahlmark

No, I'm sure p/s fluid should not be foamy. The pump is probably on its last legs. Has it become increasingly harder to steer? How many miles are on the car? Does the car still have a warrany on it? If it does it should cover the p/s pump right? :2cents:

posted by  Pinstriper38

You could try adding fluid to the proper level and with the engine off, turn the wheels all the way from left to right a few times (jacking it up will make it easier to do this) to purge the air from the rack. Plus, with it up in the air you can see if the rack is leaking as well.

posted by  srober32

srober has a good thought which may fix it but also i had one that was sucking air through a loose return hose clamp causing me the same problems. i tightened the clamp and it fixed it
ppauley/cobra freek

posted by  ppauley

srober has a good thought which may fix it but also i had one that was sucking air through a loose return hose clamp causing me the same problems. i tightened the clamp and it fixed it
ppauley/cobra freek

posted by  ppauley

Your Message