Clicks but wont turn over.... 98' chevy lumina LS

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Clicks but wont turn over.... 98' chevy lumina LS

Ok, to break it down, The car will click but it wont turn over, so by deductive logic, I am gonna assume this is an issue with the stater.
However...after attempting to start it the car power began to drain...the door chime became slow...and the lights dimmed... so on, the car is a 98' chevy lumina....and yes there was an issue with the lights dimming and coming back up for about 500 miles of use before this hapopend... is there a way to know for sure what is goin on...and what i need to replace before i just dive in.. Thank you

posted by  chris071

I would say your battery is dead...and your alternator is on it's last leg...IMHO

posted by  BavarianWheels

I know some auto parts stores offer free testing on batteries, alternators, and starters. I would suggest testing it first to see if that's the problem before replacing the whole thing. Also, I had a similar problem with my old car and immediately thought alternator as well. After buying the part and venturing under the car to replace it, turned out there were some frayed wires shorting out the alternator. Check your wires out first...it could just be something as simple as that! Good luck! :thumbs:

posted by  97Talonchik

Your Message