About how much should it cost me.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  About how much should it cost me.

Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay to have a new clutch put into a 91 Ford Taurus SHO? The one quote I have is $1350.00 for parts and labor.

posted by  Mr Frumble

A clutch costs a couple hundred dollars and labor really shouldn't be that expensive :2cents:

posted by  99integra

Found a place in the next town over that will do it for $425.00. That sounds much better.

posted by  Mr Frumble

Damn you would have gotten ripped off if it weren't for one of the few mechanics on this forum :wink2:

posted by  99integra

In Wichita you can usually get something like that done for around $320.

posted by  FordFromHell351

I would do it for 250-300 since he's on car-forums :hi:

posted by  99integra

You guys are lucky to have cheap car parts. My bmw's clutch was around 400$, with free labor seeing as I put it in.

posted by  Juhosaphat

$234.88 at Advance Auto Parts.

posted by  DodgeRida67

i would go to advanced auto then!

posted by  frizzal

i came up with 262 for the clutch and 6.6 hours labour, wtf is the labour rate down there if they can do the job for 400$ something is wrong

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

the reason it's 6.6 hours labor is b/c all the manuals recommend that the engine be pulled w/ the trans, as there is just not room to get the tranny past the subframe w/ the engine in...

now here's a shortcut (for the brave souls)

take the motor mount bolts off the subframe, then lift and support the engine (overhead hoist, cherry picker, w/e--i used a 4x4 beam across the strut towers w/ some chain...) then remove the subframe! then remove the trans! saves a crapload of time. i had to do 2 taurus wagon trannies in one week, and after much :banghead: :banghead: on the first before coming up w/ this solution, i was dreading the 2nd... :2cents:

posted by  dodger65

I just held the engine up with a tranny jack while I took out the sub-frame. There's plenty of room to take it out once that sub-frame is out of the way, plus the motor mount bolts should hold the engine in place just fine with the extra support of the tranny. Depending on the engine of course.

The first one's always a bitch though. Then after that, you're an expert.

posted by  Juhosaphat

yeah the first tranni i pulled was an axod out of a taurus, automatice though and after a day of fighting i got it out and that night a ford tech came by and said yeah we just pull the subframes off, shortcuts always cost in the end is what i have found, should just follow the book because they wrote it for a reason right? maybe it's just me but having a shop that shorcuts stuff just to make some extra bucks is not very proffesional, and shops that cut prices to meet other shop estimates or better, well did ya ever wonder how they do it? someone is losing out and i can bet it aint the shop

so tell me how that shortcut can cost you in the end...

posted by  dodger65

i dunno was just saying, shortcuts usually suck in the end, but i hate seeing how people try to make flatrate cuz they wanna make extra bucks and the customer gets shafted right in the poop shute, cuz they rushed to finish a job and just forgot a couple things.....you must know by now ive seen some wierd stuff.

Your Message