Cracked engine block.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Cracked engine block.

I have a automatic 95 mazda protege, and apperantly the engine block is cracked and i will have to buy a new engine for it. Does anyone have an idea of how much i am going to spend on a new engine? Thanks.

posted by  Obscenity

do you know bad of a crack it is? If it isnt bad, go get some JB Weld. Its a two part compound, cold weld. That stuff, which costs like 7$ to buy, can patch cracked blocks(it works, we've used it on gas tanks, blocks, rear gear housings). Try that first, see if it solves the problem....worth a shot hey?

posted by  dodgerforlife

If that doesn't work, call some junkyards about a used engine. I just put one in mine last year (had the same problem) and mine cost me $800. It's not worth putting a new one in the car (I'm was quoted about $5000 for a brand new one labor and all).

posted by  97Talonchik

Don't you think 2000 worth of labor is a little much, my dad and I dropped one in and it only took us 1 hour :screwy: Those guys must have took their time :2cents:

posted by  99integra

The junkyard is always a good place to go :mrgreen:

posted by  FordFromHell351

So would that include removal of the old engine, and hooking up all the wiring and everything too? Or just putting in the engine itself?

posted by  Juhosaphat

The wiring only took us about 40 minutes.

posted by  99integra

Yes, $2000 for labor is a lot. I asked them what the hell their labor rate was in the first place (can't remember what they told me but apparently they thought I had sucker written across my forehead :screwy: ...I don't do I?)... I laughed at them and said yeah I'll drive my broken engine elsewhere. Went back to their shop....threw some oil in it and grinded it the whole 1/4 mile to my house. The guys at the junkyard did it for $500 (granted they put the bell housing plate for the starter in crooked) :banghead: and then told me my starter was going out. You really can't find good help anymore, lol.

posted by  97Talonchik

it's a get what you pay for world, and if you dont get what you pay for then you can bitch and complain, but a bunch of junkyard guys and 500 bucks yeah you can expect some screw ups...and how long is your used motor gunna last, i know the car probably wasn't worth putting in a brand new motor but what if the used one blows up in a year or two, no warrenty right? finding good help can be very hard if don't wanna cough up the money.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

who pissed in your cheerios yesterday?

posted by  dodger65

about 4 people, demanding ,ignorant, arrogant and with asses sooo tight they sh!t string. flew off the handle there sorry. some days i wonder why i try soo hard, i know wierd.....but ive seen wierder stuff.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message