94 Crown Vic doesn't idle right.

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  94 Crown Vic doesn't idle right.

What's up, I just joined.
Got a quick question about my Crown Victoria I just bought. Its a 94 LX.
I went out and started it, and it ran for a while and cut off. Started it again and looked under the hood. It won't stay running on it's own, so obviously its not getting enough air for idle. There is a hissing sound coming from around the intake manifold. Sounds like a vaccum leak right?
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it may be something else.
Thanks for the help.

posted by  natedog104640

Are you getting fuel? It may be the fuel pump or the fuel filter.

posted by  srober32

this is for natedogs crown vic
been there did that many times
there is a vaccum tee to the right side of the t/body that crosses into the pcv system and intake, over time the rubber tee fitting rotts out causing a vac leak and is very common the part is available from your locak ford store, the repair is so common they will know what you want by description
ppauley/mustang cobra freek

posted by  ppauley

to clarify - on the pre-1996 crown vics, this tee is located on the intake on the passenger side rear of the throttlebody - find the PCV valve and follow the hose toward the intake - you will find the T

I agree with the poster - it is one of the more common issues with a Ford 4.6L V8

posted by  tbaxleyjr

A leak anywhere in the intake tract, after the MAF sensor, will cause it to shut down if the leak is large enough. I agree, check the vacuum tees and fittings, and the hoses running to the air intake silencer. There should be two large hoses on the driver side...they tend to get old, brittle, and crack. Also check the air inlet hose for tears and the silencer for cracks.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

if the Vic was 1996 or newer, i would look for a cracked intake - Ford changed from aluminum to plastic in 1996 on the 4.6L and had problems for 4 or 5 yrs with cracks near the alternator mounting brackets and a coolant connection nozzle. This is so common you can actually buy a replacement stock intake for the Vics from places like O'Rielleys and AutoZone as a replacement part.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message