Oil Brands You Use and Prefer

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Oil Brands You Use and Prefer

I was just wondering, what oil, and tranny fluid brands do you guys use? Im hooked on using Royal Purple, and Mobil 1 :mrgreen:

posted by  FordFromHell351

I'm also a believer in Mobil 1 5W-30

posted by  FocusAllEyzOnMe

im a big fan of castrol gtx 10w30 in the summer, 5w30 in the winter

tranny, motomaster(canadian tire) is good enough for my car, its not a performance machine

brake + power steering: Mopar

oil filter: Mopar(it will be a frosty day in hell when you catch me with a fram on my engine)

posted by  dodgerforlife

I use Fram. Whats wrong with them? I use Ford Racing more though.

because from every report ive seen, the manufacturers filter performs better then fram(trapping crap). Plus any mechanic i talk to hates fram. And theres always my friends cars, who, after using fram filters, had more issues with the oil systems(sludge, filings)

posted by  dodgerforlife

That must be a mopar thing...I've used fram since I started wrenching...never had a problem. I use Quaker State High-Performance 5w-30 syn. blend year round(now dubbed "Q High-RPM" with a fancy new sticker). I run the obligatory PH8A fram filter and I alternate between Engine Restorer and CD-2 Oil Detergent every other oil change and my oil comes out nearly as clean as it goes in. I change my oil about every 2000-2500miles...I beat the balls off my car and make semi-frequent trips to Atco with it. If you stay on top of your maintainence, sludge won't build up.

As far as trans fluid, I run B&M Trick Shift(synthetic) in a high-mileage AOD with a B&M shift kit and a trans cooler.

All the guys on my mustang sites seem to like Mobil1, especially in the supercharged cars. Until I get a better job, I'm not springing for $6 a quart oil.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Motor oil-Castrol synthetic in the Mustang, Castrol High Mileage in the Beetle and the Blazer
Tranny oil-Quaker State in all three

I am hooked on those two brands, they work awesome :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

B&M Trick Shift works pretty well. I used it, and nothing else before Royal Purple came out. I change my oil at the end of every month so thats around every 3000 miles. One time I had to drive my moms old 1988 Dodge Shadow out to California to go see my grandmother in the hospital, Ive never been so scared in all my life. She changes her oil probably about once every year, and when it comes out its all thick gooey and black. the time I drove it out there, she said she just had the fluids changed and then when I got out there right as I crossed the Nevada to California border, the engine started knocking and smoking horribly. I t made it to where I needed to go though, and when I checked the oil...it was the WORST thing I had EVER seen.

It would be sad if the oil was green and we all know where that goes :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Shes had that experience too...she just dosent care about her automobiles. She has spent $3,450 in the past year for a new engine. It runs perfectly now but I make sure I check it for her. Another thing too, she runs her tires until they are bald, look like drag slicks, and have the wires showing. Women :screwy:

Have you ever touched one of those wires, holy shit they hurt :laughing:

posted by  99integra

i wouldn't even say it's a mopar thing. i've always used valvoline and fram in my cars, and they seem to like it. only oil i have any problem w/ is quaker sludge... :smoke:

posted by  dodger65

I hate Penzoil...Jesus that shit gunks up your heads and gaskets like no other :banghead:

I typically use Quaker or Valvoline....
Anyone ever use that cheap oil you find at places like Wal-Mart and that? I once changed the oil im my car with cheap Shell oil (stupidity on my part) and when I started my car it had no oil pressure at all.:screwy:So I quickly shut off the engine drained the cheap stuff and put Quaker state in and it went back to normal. Both oils were the correct weight but I will never put that stuff in any car of mine....Anybody use the Lucas Oil additive stuff before? Is it any good? :2cents:

posted by  Pinstriper38

I have has no problems with Shell 5W40 (Rotella) in any of my cars.

I am not fond of Fram filters because the end caps (inside the filter) are cardboard but people use them and most have no problems. I usually use Wix filters

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Any Engine Oil seems to serve me well, although Castrol GT-X Magnatec seems to do the job more than adequately (I used to use it on a daily basis when I was in the Motor Trade)....In the cars at work we use Mobil 1....It's the only stuff that Esso (ROC UK) seem to stock, other than their own 'Ultron' brand, and to be honest I'd rather use the companies money on a more expensive brand :hi: :smoke:

posted by  Cliffy

Hey now..... :cussing:

posted by  97Talonchik

Synthetic vs. Regular vs. Blends

So I was told by my Auto Shop teacher that there was really no difference in the synthetic and regular (as far as performance). I know in my old Talon (a 1992), all that was ever used in it was Full Synthetic and I never had any problems with the engine. Sold it with 150,000+ miles on it and it still ran smooth. What do you think?

posted by  97Talonchik

I always use sythetics. They keep your engine running longer, and protect your internals.

Well, when it comes to my mother...she is the worst woman driver, and automobile owner Ive ever known :laughing:

I've got a couple of female friends that are pretty bad. Hell, I had one that didn't know how to use an automatic, when the shifter was on the floor console...

As for another reason behind my using Mopar filters, is because Fram would end up costing more for me. I have a wonderful parts account at one of the dealerships in town, and I end up paying like 2$ a filter. Oh god, how that account has saved money for our family over the years...

Side question...

Anyone ever seen plugs that use black ceramic?

posted by  dodgerforlife

Ive got good account like that at Auto Zone and the new Ford Dealership. As for those spark plugs...I think I might have seen Densos use black ceramic..but Im not sure.

I know champion does - i believe they are the mopar performance plugs. I was just asking if anyone had seen any, because thats the only ones i've seen. Put them in my grandpas truck about....4 months ago. Those things really helped the gas mileage in that poor truck.

posted by  dodgerforlife

A true synthetic has a group 4 base such as polyalphaolefins (PAO) and other sythetic stocks. Mobil 1, AMSOIL, Red Line and a couple of others qualify

Most oils billed as synthetic are really regular mineral oil base stock (group 3) which have been dewaxed and has a good detergent additive package.

The synthetic have more predictable viscosity curves and better high temperature performance (less volatility, etc.)

posted by  tbaxleyjr

My friend uses motul i was woudering what you guys thougth of it?

posted by  Flirtyboy04

Your Message