Everything You Want to Know... About Horsepower and Torque, Part 1

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Everything You Want to Know... About Horsepower and Torque, Part 1

?????

posted by  vwhobo

?????

posted by  vwhobo

?????

posted by  vwhobo

?????

posted by  vwhobo

Articles are back! Not only that but 4 parts in a row... WOHOO!
Thanks vwhobo :clap: :clap:

posted by  Unfedfat

and what makes you think im willing to read all that? :doh: :guns:

posted by  SuperJew

I did. I don't know how much I remembered but I read it.

posted by  Satty101

Because you're supposed to be the smart teenager in the bunch. That's what you like to tell us anyway.

posted by  vwhobo

good stuff vwhobo :clap:

posted by  Bubba

smart, yes.

lazy? yes as well.

posted by  SuperJew

smartest? well, hell of a lot smarter than me.

posted by  Satty101

Wow i can't believe i just read all of that but anyway nice one :clap:

I give that :thumbs: :thumbs:

posted by  Porsche Fan

very nice... started to read it, going to finish reading now...

posted by  spadassin

vwhobo, in connection with your chapter on horsepower and torque, I have the following 2 questions: -
1. If torque peaks lower down in the rev range and it's torque that's good for producing the grunt for such things as hill climbing, why is it best to keep revs high when climbing hills?
2. Why is it called 'brake' (or is it 'break') horsepower?

posted by  snoopewite

1. Lower in the rev range is a relative thing. Some engines torque peak is in the neighborhood of 7k rpm so... You see what I mean by relative?
2. It is brake, and it is called that because of the type of equipment used to measure the horsepower. I probably couldn't explain it here but I'll look for a site that does.

posted by  vwhobo

"I see", said the blind man who couldn't see at all. Thanks vwhobo and another round of applause :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

posted by  snoopewite

An engine is basically a heat pump. It gets the right fuel/air ratio and the correct ignition timing. Thats what everything on the engine is basically for is those two things. All the power is from the hot gases in the combustion chamber expanding and pushing downward on the piston.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Very impressive article, I even tried to find mistakes in your explanation of how force relates work which in turn relates to power, and found none. I bow to you.

posted by  67Pony

Great article, hobo. Thanks for the info.
I do have a few questions, though.

If someone (namely me) were looking to "tune" an engine to get the most torque and hoursepower out of it, which order should I follow the steps? You've said in your article that the exhaust system can hold up the other modifications made, so is that a good place? It seems that most people looking for extra power just follow the cheapest-to-most-expesive route (buy air fiter first, maybe cams or exhast after that, etc, etc). I prefer to follow a smarter approach. Any suggestions?

posted by  Sonreir

While you are at it can you do some for me too? Specifically any mercedes, bmw or EVO engine.

posted by  SNiPeRViRuS

That was a very well written article, coincidentally, a lot of it parallels what I am studying right now.

However, I think a lot of people will have trouble understanding 80% of that. I'm currently going to college for auto mechanics, and had a bit of trouble with some parts. 1 year ago, I would have stopped reading three lines in due to the fact that my head would be spinning.

posted by  Mathew

Why did wvhobo erase the article?!!!!

posted by  CarEXPERT

Because he copied/pasted it and didn't want anyone to realize it. Once word was put out there (by me) he quickly edited the articals so I would have no proof.

Here you go, this is the EXACT same artical that he pasted on here before he erased it. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/868/

posted by  DodgeRida67

HAHAHHA why do people try to act like they are smart on forums..?
That is a HELLA good article dodge, imma print it out, Dodge if you have any more good article like that please send them to me.. so I can learn more.

posted by  CarEXPERT

He seemingly knows a great deal. I don't know what's up with that crap. His attitude is full of shit. Other than that.

http://carcraft.com/techarticles/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/

posted by  DodgeRida67

Wow, that was some great reading!!! :laughing:

posted by  dsiENGINES

THIS SELF PROCLAIMED KNOW IT ALL IS FULL OF IT.+

posted by  the lobster

vwhobo, you got OWNED!!

posted by  CarEXPERT

Go back to your hole CarExpert!! :roll:

posted by  elchango36

gotta agree w/ the evil monkey there... why are you trying to start sh*t after like a year?

posted by  dodger65

What you fail to see though you knobhead, is that hobo edited his articles so we only have idiots like you and dildo's word for it that it was a copy/paste. I'm gonna hazard a guess that he had other reasons to delete the article. If I'm wrong though....which I doubt, I'll take it back, but probably the only person I'm willing to listen to is somebody with atleast an ounce of respect here at CF, like the man himself for example :thumbs:...or any other well respected CFers!

Hey, I just thought...what if hobo did copy/paste that stuff, but only to save hime writting it all out again. I'l leave you to your own devices as to what I mean :wink2:

Oh well, atleast this thread turned out a member with an advert in his sig! :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

I'm still reading those articles...why does it matter if he copied and pasted, you still learn the same thing lol.

Also, is "knobhead" a common word for you Brits? Because I went biking the other day and I was riding beside a friend on a pretty narrow path, when some guy on a bike (I think he had a British accent lol) looks at me and goes "Wrong side, ya knobhead!"...But it might also be possible he said "doghead" I didn't really hear him :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Very true lol

Yes, it is a very common term in the UK, although mainly in Southern England, where I'm from, it's a politer way of calling somebody a d*ck head lol (knob = male reproductive organ...incase ya didn't know lol.....or a door handle of course!)....What were you doing riding on the wrong side of the road anyway? ya knobhead lol.....and their gonna eventually let you loose in a car? lol

posted by  Cliffy

I was on the wrong side of the road because my friend was on the right side of the path, and I was next to him, can't remember what I was explaining, but there was still enough room for the other guy to pass by us...I think he just liked the word :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

or maybe he just learned the word like you....

posted by  Satty101

This brings back memories. Haha.

There are a few people that know the truth.:wink2:

posted by  67Coronet383

not a bad place if you can overlook some of the bull hockey - not as bad as it used to be

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I actually wanted to know something about horsepower and torque...... does anybody happen to have it saved somewhere? :ohcrap:

posted by  Apples

There's a link like halfway through the thread
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/horsepower_vs_torque/index.html
Check out some other tech articles too, there's lots of good stuff
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/index.html

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message