The helper needs helping...

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  The helper needs helping...

Got an 86' Cutlass Supreme with the Buick 231 V-6. When I first put the engine in, which was about a year and a half ago now, maybe two years, it ran good, but when I put the tranny in, I couldn't get the dipstick tube in. So it was just sitting in the hole.

First day I drive it and park, I come back and all of my tranny fluid is on the ground. I figure it's the dipstick tube since it's not all the way in. So after that, I don't work on the car for a while, because I'm just plain lazy.

So now, I fixed the dipstick tube with a new grommet, and had been running it and driving it a little bit for about 3 weeks since I replaced the grommet. No leaks. It had been parked with the front facing downhill. Then about two days ago, I move it and come back and park it with the front facing uphill. Tranny fluid ALL OVER THE GROUND AGAIN :cussing: . I've checked all of the lines, which btw were cut and had fuel line run between each fitting into the tranny and radiator...But I've checked them all and made sure they were all tight. The dipstick is still sealed tight. Yet it still leaked....Any ideas on what the hell's going on with my tranny? Any help is greatly appreciated, because I'm running out of ideas :doh:

posted by  Juhosaphat

rear seal?

posted by  Wally

i agree, rear seal or the pan gasket is blown out in the back

posted by  dano

Your rear seal or pan gasket...or both, is shot.

posted by  FordFromHell351

either look for the highest point you can see tranny fluid leaking or clean it off w/ brake cleaner and park it the same way again. it could be one of many seals/gaskets... speedo drive, tailshaft housing, rear seal, kickdown cable seal, pan gasket, selector shaft seal...

posted by  dodger65

There's nothing coming from the torque converter or the rear, so it's neither of those. The kickdown is dry as a bone, and the gasket is fine too. It seems like it's leaking from one of the lines going into the tranny, but they're all tight. I really can't find out what the hell is wrong with the damn thing :banghead:

posted by  Juhosaphat

maybe the brass fittings going into the case are loose, and it all seems tight b/c the lines won't let them turn... i've seen that a few times..

posted by  dodger65

They're tight too. I've double checked all lines/fittings going into the tranny. Everything's tight. I can't figure this shit out dammit... :banghead:

posted by  Juhosaphat

Your Message