1992 Mazda 929 engine won't start...not the battery

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1992 Mazda 929 engine won't start...not the battery

I own a 92 Mazda 929 (194000 miles, trans rebuilt at 102,000 miles). I have two problems...they may be linked, I don't know.

There have been no indicator noises or smells for these problems.

The "hold" light has been flashing over the last couple of weeks. I consulted the manual and it indicated that it was an electrical problem with the transmission. The light comes on and goes off sporadically. After the light starts flashing, it will occasionally stop when I come to a complete stop. Sometimes, I can cut off the engine and the light will go off only to come back on a mile or so down the road. Other times the light won't even come on for 1-200 miles or a couple of days. The trans seems to engage and change gears smoothly, so I am not really sure if this has anything to do with my current problem, but it is a problem within itself.

Over the last few weeks, my car has become increasingly harder to start. When I would turn the key, the engine would turn like halfway over but with 1-2 more trys it would start fine. My boyfriend checked the battery and that does not seem to be the problem because the lights, radio, pwr windows, and other electrically run things seem to work fine. Yet, when I turn the key the engine will not turn over/start.

We thought it could have been the starter/solenoid...but there have been no weird noises or anything.

We thought it could have been the alternator belts but, they were replaced not too long ago and did not seem to be loose. He has not checked the alternator itself though. I have no idea what is going on...it could be the alternator...it could be a dozen other things too...

I would appreciate all the information I could get
Thanks
MY

posted by  myarbrough1

My...first off...hello and welcome to the forums. You should tell us more about yourself first...then tell us your concerns. :wink2: :heh:

It would probably be best if you took it into a qualified mechanic to take a look...I'd even say pay the minimum at the dealer for a diagnosis of the problem. From there you can decide if it is something that your b/f can fix, or if it is something better left to an expert.

By continuing to drive and ignore the problem, it could compound making it worse and more expensive.

Good luck!

posted by  BavarianWheels

Ouchy, my 92 Cavalier Z24 is doing the same thing. My dad thinks it may be the Starter going bad as I have to give it a shot or 2 before it start. I'm not sure on these things, just trying to help, I'm no mechanic >.<. N00b when it comes to these things, hoping someone could give me a best price I should be looking for on that part actually.

posted by  CyanideJesus

HELLO, MY NAME IS TRAE & I'M WRITING FROM LAS VEGAS, NV. I ALSO OWN A 1992 MAZDA 929 WITH 112,000 MILES, THAT ALL OF A SUDDEN I CANNOT GET TO TURN OVER.....WE CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP, LINE & FILTER JUST RECENTLY. WE ALSO THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE THE FACTORY SECURITY SYS. ENGAGING DUE TO THE STEREO RECENTLY BEING REMOVED ALSO.....IT HAS A NEW BATTERY...SO THAT WASN'T IT EITHER.... :cussing:
ANY NEW INFORMATION THAT YOU COME ACROSS....I WOULD APPRECIATE A HEADS-UP & I'LL BE HAPPY TO DO THE SAME....I NEED TO GET THIS CAR TO START!!!!! THANK YOU TRAE

posted by  TFOSTER

tfoster, do you mean the engine doesn't crank or it cranks but won't start? :ohcrap:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

This is the third instance of the same symptom I've heard in the last week for the 929 , one of them someone who asked me in person to fix the problem..... I didn't have the time. He seemed to think an auto electrician had narrowed it down to a black box under the dash that may be interfaced to the immobiliser. Good luck.

posted by  Wally

I don't know if it the same problem for you, but my trunk light was staying on. I had my husband close me in the trunk and behold , the light stayed on, pulling a drain off of my battery. We adjusted the trunk closure contacts and it was fixed.

I have also read about , on Range Rovers, the CD changer screwing up and pulling a charge for memory purposes, just pulling too much. the fix for this was to (with the car off) remove the CD casette and put it back in- no memory to hold that way. The memory I am referring to is they way you can turn on your car and magically be at the exact same spot in the song you were listening to before you turned it off.

I have also found out that sometimes, when the power antenna is going crazy, it can pull a large amount from the battery even when the key is off. The cheapest fix for this is to unplug it inside of the trunk.

Hope this helps

-Sierrawolfe

posted by  sierrawolfe929r

my brother played that trick on me but in an empty fridge, in the end i don't really think he wanted to know if the light goes out, damn thing wasn't even plugged in, a couple of hours and alot of smashing fixed that problem though. you'd be surprised how strong a whole roll of duct tape is when it's wrapped around a fridge. :mrgreen:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

yeah, it's usually dark in there. At least I had some light while he was deciding if he really wanted a wife...

posted by  sierrawolfe929r

Your Message