93 Ford Taurus SHO

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  93 Ford Taurus SHO

Can anyone help me with installing the timing belt idler pulley, also any secrets I need to know about putting on a new serpentine belt and timing belt? Thanks!!

posted by  missintone

3.0L or 3.2L?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

BanffAutoSpa, Sorry it's a 3.2L, ATX, do I have to have a torque wrench to remove bottom pulley? Any help you can give me? Thanks!!

posted by  missintone

k lets clear some things up with terminology, you need a new TIMING belt idler pulley or just the serp pulley, if you arent very car handy doing the timing belt is gunna be the biggest pain in your ass, you have a chain and a belt for timing on your car because it's dual cam, so what exactly do you want to do and why??

BanffAutoSpa, the timing belt idler pulley fell apart and was knocking against the timing belt cover, ( thought I had lost my water pump) I found a different idler pulley so I have to put that on and I bought a new timing belt to put on while it's tore down that far, but I'm not sure what I'm doing as far as putting both on and then I have to put it all back together!!! Also bought a new serpentine belt but I think I can get that.

Also how much damage can I cause if I just put the idler pulley on and put the car back together skipping changing the timing belt?

posted by  missintone

well it is a time consuming job to get into that timing belt, and you need a few specialty tools, i would really just say you should go to a shop because you can do some major damage if you don't put the belt on properly and yes it can easily be put on wrong even the best of mechanics screw timing belt jobs because lack of know-how or information and proper tools

i suggest taking banffauto_ap's advice, the dual cam sho engine is a very hi demanding engine when it comes to the belt, so if you haven't touched it yet i suggest DON'T
I have did around 20 or so of those belts while working at Ford and even with the correct info. its a pain in the butt.
ppauley/cobra freek

posted by  ppauley

Your Message