Car stalls

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car stalls

Hi all,
I have a 1990 Lumina that has a bit of a problem. After driving for a couple of miles, the car will stall if I stop at, say a red light or something. It WILL start again and idle OK in park or neutral, but if I put it in drive/reverse, it stalls out immediately. If I let the care sit for a while (about an hour) it will go for another couple of miles before doing this all over again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

posted by  tom_jv

do you have the 3.1 model engine with the coil packs on the side of the block? unless there is something else really obvious, i would start with ignition diagnostics, your car is EXTREMELY common for ignition problems, the computer gets it's signal from the crankshaft position sensor thats mounted on the side of the block(opposite side of the coil packs and ignition module) if it is a standard than it's alot easier to get at than the automatic cuz the tranny is crammed in right beside that sensor, you have to pull the connector off and test the wires for proper continuity and make sure the wires are ok, those sensor fail often and are fairly cheap so if you can't diagnose than the sensor would be the cheapest part to replaceit'll have one little 10 or 8 mm head size bolt holding it in and you have to kinda twist and pull to get it out cuz the o-ring will be sticky(don't bust your knuckles on this one) and if that doesnt cure it than getting the module is next , and is probably rediculously expensive, and then gettin some new coils if that doesnt cure it, the coils mount on top of the module. and all of this is of course done after you've made sure the plug wires and spark plugs are fine :wink2: good luck

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Hi Banff,
I actually have the 2.5L 4 cyl. automatic. I'll take a look at the connection to the crankshaft position sensor and if it looks good, then I guess, if you think that's the best/cheapest place to start, maybe pick one up and try that out!

Thanks!

posted by  tom_jv

damn, i don't see hide nor hair of those engines so your on your own, might be the same setup.... im to lazy to look right now, i'll let ya know if i see more

I forgot to mention that the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light comes on just before the car stalls during one of it's temper tantrums....does that help narrow things down, or bring anything else to mind?

Thanks!

posted by  tom_jv

I gotta ask but are you a mechanic by any chance because I need someone like you at my shop :laughing: All my staff are dumb shits :doh:

posted by  99integra

LOL.....no.....I'm anything BUT a mechanic!!! I "attempt" to fix these things out of necessity only...and I'm a fairly quick study (isn't the internet a GREAT resource?!?!)...if all else fails....THEN it goes into the shop to have someone who "knows what he's doing" take a look at it.

Take care!

posted by  tom_jv

Shit sorry I quoted you on accident :doh: I was talking to Banff but hell you can work down here anyways :laughing:

posted by  99integra

yeah that was confusing, no i live in an old evacuated missile silo for the last 25 years and have been studying the new technological advances in the world today. you guys must have some cool stuff ;) yes im an apprentice 3rd year in Alberta Canada

Damn good one you are :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

try unplugging the torque converter lockup solenoid (4 prong square plug on front of trans) and see if it still does it... lots o' problems w/ those on the th125

posted by  dodger65

Your Message