how can i make my stock exhaust louder

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  how can i make my stock exhaust louder

I have a 04 bmw m3 and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the stock resonator and put a straight pipe in its place to make the stock exhaust system louder.

if anyone thinks its a bad idea or if it will mess up the car somehow please let me know.

thanks.

posted by  M3lover

You will lose some performance if you do it.

posted by  99integra

you could always just drill some holes in your exhaust system...but be careful about idling..... :orglaugh:

posted by  dodgerforlife

I can't see how you would loose performance by removing it but then again I'am no BMW expert by no means.
If it were me I would remove it and see what happens, can't hurt anything by experimenting.
ppauley/cobra freek

posted by  ppauley

You could always tune your car so it makes the louder sound itself, instead of going the rice way and making ur exhaust system louder.

PS- Replace Cat with test pipe

posted by  Oomba

LOL, you could do like Jesse James did on one episode of monster garage.

He wanted his car to sound real loud but the race required him to have a muffler. So he cracked open the muffler, gutted it, and then welded the sheet metal back over it.

LOL.

posted by  diggisaur

I meant he would lose the back pressure that stock exhausts create

posted by  99integra

Straight-piping your Beemer will not hurt performance...you might even pick up a little, but it won't be noticable. Stock exhaust systems have too much back pressure as it is, so freeing up the exhaust a little could stand to do you good. This just goes back to people not knowing what they're talking about...there is a decent amount of horsepower to be had by upgrading your exhaust system on most vehicles.....I'm sure the M3 has a pretty good system on it.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Whoa buddy I was just speaking from experience :doh:

posted by  99integra

Why would you want to make the thing louder? The drone in the cabin can get pretty irritating. Knocking out the resonator will reintroduce the pulsating noise and raise it an octave or two.

posted by  Wally

Whoa buddy, so was I. If you exhaust system falls off your little 4-banger at the manifold...yeah, you're gonna lose a little power...mostly noticable on the low end. I used to make exhaust systems for Grand Prix's of all types and other GM W-Body vehicles. On a stone stock '01 GTP, the system I built knocked off .4 seconds from the 1/4 mile E.T. The owner then began complaining that wheelspin was a big issue when launching. Another example...fox-bodied mustangs with a 5.0...from the factory they come with high flow tubular exhaust manifolds(not quite good enough to be called headers, but much better than the cast iron log style manifold) 4 catalytic converters, and 2.25" pipe diameter. You replace the factory system with full length headers, a 2.5" off-road h-pipe, decent performance mufflers and you can pick up about 15-30rwhp....according to you, it should have lost power.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

In fairness thouh the ford 5.0 heads have an exhaust port that is way too small so it needs all the help it can get to expel the gas. On a properly sized head port, putting a bigger exhaust on can cause a noticeable loss in low to midrange power, without modifying the cam events.

posted by  Wally

Hi
i don't see when this thread was on so if long ago sorry but i'm really a newbie at this tuning stuff but i have a Mitsubishi Lancer 2008 and was wondering how i could make it sound louder. I live in doha so consumption and that don't matter. I want to find the cheapest way possible. I saw things about drilling the muffler is that good for the car and does anyone know whether its legal or not? I somehow want to make the exhaust sound louder.

Please help me with this

thanks

newbie812   19 Aug 2012 02:01

Your Message