1994 Dodge Intrepid Transmission Help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1994 Dodge Intrepid Transmission Help

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a problem i've been having. I have a 1994 Intrepid and recently the car has been having transmission issues. When i start the car and it's cold outside and don't warm up for at least 20 minutes, the car starts going and when the automatic is ready to shift, the transmission just stalls. Hitting the gas a bunch of times seems to have it catch again and it goes and doesn't have the problem anymore. Just when you start. This has happened everytime i start driving recently, i would greatly appreciate if anyone knows what this is. Is this a simple fix, or the whole transmission is starting to go? Thanks in advance

posted by  Phantom1500

I have no idea what you mean when you say "when the automatic is ready to shift, the transmission just stalls". I'm not even sure what you mean by "it's cold outside and don't warm up for at least 20 minutes". Better explanations lead to better solutions.

posted by  vwhobo

my friend has a plymoth and if its cold out he has to wait for his tran to warm up. But the only thing i can say it that you baught a dodge so you made the choice and now you have to deal with it. sorry.

posted by  Fosgate3410

Good one Fosgate3410 :rolleyes: Such a helpful reply. Just by reading your four posts so far I can tell that you're going to be a real asset to the forums.

posted by  snoopewite

Is this an automatic? check the fluid level. May need to replace the filter and of course the fluid also. Have you had any work done on this lately before this started?
Is this a manual trans? Ensure you have enough fluid and that it's manufacturers recommended type.
signed "no expert" Rharri

posted by  rharri

You know exactly what he is talking about. :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

It's an automatic. The fluid levels are fine, i checked them. I am going to replace filters and fluid and see what happens. I am not sure if it's the fluid freezing, cause now it's warmer and it still happens. Thanks for the help everyone, i greatly appreciate it.

posted by  Phantom1500

You want us to beleive that after letting this post sit for a month you actually appreciate it? Sure ya do.

What ever gave you the idea that automatic transmission fluid is going to freeze? The things you type simply make no sense. Please help me to understand.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message