1965 coronet

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1965 coronet

i have a 1965 coronet with a 463 big block, it hasn't ran for a couple of years for variuos resons. the starter relay was bad and it started working so we figured we should go get a knew one anyways and when we put the knew one on i crossed the post on the battery and when i went to start it it did't even turn over and we crossed the bolts on the starter realy and it turned over but wouldn't start, and we don't have head lights and before we did.

posted by  shawn332006

how on earth do you have a 463 big block???? what do you mean by "crossed the post" on the battery?

posted by  dodger65

Only thing i can think of would be positive to negative (or vice versa). Not sure about 463 bbc though.

posted by  car_crazy89

well, then. he oughta put it back on right and see if it starts... he may have burned out the points... if the wires are reversed, it will crank like a mofo, but won't start...

posted by  dodger65

it was bored out .3 times over or soemthing it was originally a 440 before it was bored out, but what i ment was when we were reconecting the batterie it has a bare grouand and we accidently crossed the positive with the negative

posted by  shawn332006

you're saying you just arced it momentarily?

posted by  dodger65

yea just for a second and nothing worked after that.

posted by  shawn332006

make sure you have power going into the coil. is there an "I" terminal on that starter relay, check that. If you have no power at the coil run a wire from the positive of the battery to the positive of the coil. with the ignition on you should be able to turn the distributor and hear the points tick every time they close. if not you screwed something up.

posted by  carls47807

man. you're gonna make me go out and do it to my car just so i can see what happens... yeah, see if you have 12V+ on the + side of the coil w/ the key on... let us know... check your fuses.... kinda sounds like the ignition switch is cooked. i'm going to rewire some stuff on mine in the next couple of days, so i'll dig out my wiring diagram and let you know what's what... :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message