93 Honda Overheating

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  93 Honda Overheating

Question for anyone that can help,

I have a 93 Accord EX that's overheating. the temp gauge runs to high when I stop in traffic or at a light, and if I put the car in Neutral and press that gas pedal, it comes back down. I've Replace the radiator cap, the thermostate and the coolant temp sensor. The top radiator hose is extremely hot. I don't see fluid leaking, but while driving the car I can definetely smell the coolant.....can anyone offer any ideas?

posted by  drash69

Maybe its time to think of a new hose or rad for that matter

posted by  99integra

So you think that it would be something that simple and not something major like a water pump or engine issue/

posted by  drash69

I don't think so, because you said it smells like coolent

posted by  99integra

does your fan run?

posted by  dodger65

It could be the hose and hopefully so. But if you can smell it you need to fix it fast. Smell the exhaust and make sure you can't smell it there, if so, you have a blown head. But if it keeps heating like that you will blow the head and you will have a problem. Biggest suggestion is to STOP driving it untill it is fixed. And it could possibly be the fan, try hot wiring the fan to see if it will turn on.

posted by  shawnhoggeva1

so you diagnosed the thermostat yourself...or you thought you did, if upper hose is hot try feeling the lower hose, if alot cooler then change the thermostat because they are usually put in the lower hose on those p.o.s honda's, and by me saying put in the lower hose i mean at the flange where the lower hose meets the head, and yes stop driving for god sakes

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

i would take the thermostat completely out for the time beign if you want to drive it.

sounds to me you have air in the system (did you bleed it?) and the air could be in the system due to a bad head gasket. good luck.

i have never seen a water pump that wasn't pumping. i know i've heard people say that they have but i think they are lying. the only time i've experienced a water pump going bad is if when a belt breaks (which isn't really the water pump at all) or they start leaking.

posted by  carls47807

well heres one for ya carls and im not lying cuz it was in my hands about a month ago, a dodge spirit or dodge shadow or any of those cars with the 2.5L or 2.2 L inline 4 have a problem with the original water pump shearing the impeller off, and will pumps sometimes when it caught on a burr and not pump other times causing it to overheat

okay okay, but i'll still believe it when i see it :) No i know it could happen it just seems the belt would slip or something before the impeller would shear off.

2.(2)5's. speaking of head gaskets.

oh yea, and the water pump on this corvair has given me hell.

posted by  carls47807

yeah, those corvair water pumps are a bitch.... the key is to pour some turn signal fluid in them and swish it around. that prelubes the bearings and the canuter valve... :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

Yes both fans run. If I start the car with the ac on, both fans come on as they should, and when I shut the car off, the one fan runs to cool it down

posted by  drash69

No I didn't bleed it before changing the thermostat. I will smell the exhaust pipe to see if I can smell coolant there and I will also have the system flushed this weekend as I was adviced to do as well....I'm assuming that flushing the system WILL remove any air that may be in the system right?

posted by  drash69

your water pump is going out cuz it stays cool when your driving but gets hot when your stoped. .right. . .think about it your water pump is haveing to work harder.. so change that shit out cuz if you dont and your motor is still running hot. .you can worp you pistons, block or even a head . . .and that shit sucks ass if you do that. .but when you change the water pump do a rad. flush. .

posted by  96-GSX-RHD

i'm curious to see what the solution to his problems are. i really don't think it is the water pump.

and be careful not to warp those pistons!

posted by  carls47807

can you explain to me exactly how you think water pumps can fail that they would do that?

posted by  dodger65

whatever you do don't listen to the 96 gsx guy he obviously doesnt work on cars and has no valid opinion here, unless my waterpump is shot too, cuz it stays cool when driving and warms slightly at stoplights, i just thought it was the immense flow of air through my rad at 100km/h, guess ill go buy a new one anyway

crap, mine too! :mrgreen:

posted by  dodger65

I would have to agree with you Steven.

Invest in a new radiator.

posted by  FordFromHell351

I agree to this also. You might also get a warped head :ohcrap: And thats never cool.

posted by  FordFromHell351

you should probably have someone do a leak check...

posted by  dodger65

I feel rather silly for posting this, but i skimmed over everyone elses posts...and perhaps

Have you checked the fluid level? :banghead: Before stressing yourself thinking its something serious, check all the small crap taht could be wrong.

posted by  Lithium

well, if it's low, it has to be going somewhere. it's not like you're expected to go thru coolant on a regular basis (unless you have a taurus 3.0 or a chrysler 2.2) :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

My first question is are you losing water? If your losing water then its obvious you just have a leak somewhere. You should not have to add any antifreeze to radiator unless you have a leak.
The first place to check is the weep hole in the water pump. Then check all your hoses. Waht does the radiator look like inside? Is it rusted or what?
Keep Us posted on your progress!

posted by  kdagenais

If your getting the overheating trouble - a temporary fix is turning the heat on full blast - it will help you limp home until you fix the thermostat.

rootuser   04 Apr 2012 06:08

Your Message