2002 Nissan Sentra Crankshaft Sensor Location

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2002 Nissan Sentra Crankshaft Sensor Location

We just recently purchased a 2002 Nissan Sentra, 4 cyl, 1.8 ltr car with 53K miles on it. It is now having problems with starting/running. The mechanic who diagnosed it for us says it needs a new crankshaft sensor. This was recalled, and the people we bought it from said it was already replaced. But, now it's bad again. We bought the set of three sensors from the dealer, and replaced two of them, but now we can't find the crankshaft sensor. My husband thought he had located it just above the oil filter, but it's an entirely different part.

Can anyone describe for me in detail WHERE the crankshaft sensor is located on this beast? The people we have called at several dealerships have NO CLUE where it is, and we can't locate a manual on this thing anywhere.

Help is more than appreciated, it will stop husband from throwing things around in frustration.

posted by  lillyth

Introduce yourself

posted by  99integra

Found the sensor, but now it won't start. It cranks, but no starting. He had to leave for work for the weekend, and so now I have no vehicle. GRRRR. :cussing:

So here's the next part - is the "check engine light" supposed to be on while trying to start? He was doing something checking the spark plug wires, made some comment about "Hmm, why's that one not sparking" but I wasn't about to ask for more details in the mood he was in. He called the service place to ask if there was a computer reset that was needed, and apparently they said no. Any ideas? Thought I saw something somewhere about a distributor problem after a similar situation, but I can't find it now.

posted by  lillyth

well i guess ill have to start from the begining, im assuming he was checking for spark... make sure you have sprak on all plug wires, if on or two don't make spark it could be the wire or a coil pack if it is distributorless ignition, if it has a distributor, check cap and rotor, all of these problems are much easier to diagnose with a scantool rather than the old backyard way of pulling the plug wire off and holding it near the block(but dont try this cuz 40,000 volts doesnt feel good in the elbow joints ;) i don't know what else i can tell you to help stop the throwing of wrenches from the hubby, maybe bring him lots of beer and and some big fat joints to smoke to calm him down, on the job hummers always work...ALWAYS! lol :oops:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message