problem with 1990 OLDSMOBILE DELTA 88 ROYALE BROUGHAM

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  problem with 1990 OLDSMOBILE DELTA 88 ROYALE BROUGHAM

I have a 1990 olds delta 88 that starts fine when the engine is cold. However after the engine warms up and you turn the ignition off it will not start. I have replaced the coil pack and ignition module and that has not helped. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and would this be stored in the computer. If it is stored how would I check it.

posted by  brhowell

won't turn over or won't start? i've seen crank position sensors do that...

posted by  dodger65

I have had Luminas with bad starters do that, after they get up to warming temp, things expand. But, if it cranks over then its obviously not the starter :)

posted by  Lithium

chev is common in that era if youve never replaced the starter they tend to not work after they get hot, does it crank at all?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

My money is also on the starter. More than likely the solenoid is bad, but change the whole deal. Also check to see if any wires are routed too closely to the exhaust, and look for a loose heat shield.

Bob

posted by  bobss396

Well dodge was right it was the crank position sensor. Thanks for the help.

posted by  brhowell

I was reading the first post and jumped to the same conclusion as the other guys. It's so easy to name something as a problem that you've had particular trouble with in the past. Yeah the crank sensor makes sense. You clearly need that so the car can monitor the rotational speed of the crankshaft.

Oldsmobile Engine Locator (http://www.swengines.com/Engines/Oldsmobile~motors/)
Mobile, Alabama

posted by  jdonline

Your Message