"Shuddering" in a '96 Accord

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  "Shuddering" in a '96 Accord

Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help me! I have a '96 Accord 5pd (just bought used about a month ago). The car is in excellent condition & the former owner maintained it extremely (keeping all records). My question is this, usually while accelerating in 2nd & 3rd gears; I hear this low "shuddering" sound that eventually goes away as the speed increases. I've also noticed that when I do hear this "shudder", removing my foot from the gas stops it and that it tends to happen when the car is in a higher gear before reaching the designated speed (ie: lower speeds in a higher gear)

I was told it could be the cv joints or excessive "toe-in", however the cv boots are in full tact. I did have the joints checked anyway (along with both the motor & transmission mounts as well as an alignment check) when I had new tires put on the car, only to be told that my car was "mechanically sound".

Am I just paranoid? Could this "shuddering" be a normal due to the age of the car or is there something we're neglecting to check???

Any comments & advice would be greatly appreciated!

posted by  sabman

My guess, Harmonic balancer/dampner

posted by  lectroid

Excessive toe-in? Don't get your information from that person anymore. CV joints? Without hearing the sound I can't say absolutely not, so let's say not at all likely.

Does this occur in any other gears besides 2nd and 3rd? How many miles does the car have on it? As the motor and transaxle mounts have been declared good, coupled with your description, I'll go out on a limb and say possible clutch slipping. The wonders of online diagnostics.

posted by  vwhobo

I'd also say possible clutch slip or maybe clutch judder which is usually down to wear and tear anyway so both of these would require replacement..I'm still wondering how a CV joint would make that noise though as these usually clonk...

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message