I recently bought a 91 crown vic ex-cop car off one of my friends thinking that it only needed a alternator, but found it is more then just a alternator. I have replaced the alternator and the external voltage regulator but I am still only geting 10 amps to the battery. I have tried 2 new voltage regulators, used 2 different batteries, and checked the grounds, cleaned the battery terminals, took the battery clamps off and cleaned the corrosion off the ends of the wires and still only 10 amps to alternator. I have disconected the voltage regulator and jumped the A and F slot in the harnes with a piece of wire and got 13.5-14 volts at idle. I dont know what to do from here. Could a bad wire or fusable link be causing this problem? Also the starter has been replaced recently. :banghead:
Ten amps to the battery is probably about right without any accessories turned on. Your voltage reading at idle, while slightly lower than I would expect, is well within limits. So my question is, what is the problem?
The problem is the battery is not getting a charge. I Can can charge both batteries with a charger and they will take a charge. When i drive the car it will drive for a while during the day before the battery gets drained. At night with the headlights the car wont go far at all before the battery dies. While in the garage with the charging system tester on it and the car above idle it still only reads around 10amp, nowhere near the good green section on the meter for the alternator. Someone just told me that it could be the alternators harnes plug. Just called NAPA and they said they had one for 13.95 do you think that might be the problem? It does look somewhat greenish at exposed metal pieces.
Yes, that's an extremely common problem with that alternator. It's not uncommon for the plug to start underhood fires. I think however you can find the plug cheaper elsewhere.