Polishing chrome

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Polishing chrome

Ok, so the thing is, I'm not really a car enthusiast. In fact, I'm not even old enough to drive. But I do know that car enthusiasts could help me on this subject. So here is my question: how do you guys (and girls) go about cleaning, polishing, removing rust from, and then protecting the chrome. Is there any specific product to use? I have been told to try simichrome, turtle wax chrome polish/rust remover, and mother's chrome polish, but wanted a 2nd opinion. Thanks a lot, Sam.

posted by  moosryan

Are you old enough to say hello and introduce yourself? What exactly is it you're trying to polish? That in itself may have some bearing on what the answer is.

posted by  vwhobo

o sorry guys. my name is sam and i live in maryland. im 15 and i am restoring a vintage drum kit, which has lot of chrome on it (if you play drums: stands, lugs, hoops, etc.) also, one added note. the turtle wax products look quite good. do you guys like them? thanks a lot

posted by  moosryan

Is there any pitting or corrosion or do they just need to be polished. What kind of drum kit is it?

posted by  vwhobo

its a rogers holiday (white). im not sure about pitting or corrosion, but i appreciate all the advice you can give

posted by  moosryan

Nice kit. The advice depends on information. If you won't supply any, neither will I. Beyond that all I can tell you is all the products you mentioned are good, just not for the same purpose.

posted by  vwhobo

what are pitting and corrosion

posted by  moosryan

this might sound weird but it takes pitting and corrosion out of chrome. Go to the store and get these things called brillo pads (steel wool with soap) and rub that on them to get it clean up. GENTLY. it wont scratch, trust me. Then go to advance auto parts and pick up this chrome protector/shine called "blue magic" use it sparringly. it works great.

posted by  DodgeRida67

is mothers chrome polish good?

posted by  moosryan

Good gosh,,,,,, ASK YOUR MOTHER!

posted by  lectroid

I'm sorry Sam, it's just that you poped up with a silly question nearly a month after your first post. Are you wanting to know what a good chrome polish is or just advice? YES,,Mothers is a very good chrome polish.

If you have never taken a drum or drumset apart, get a disposable camera and take a few, lot of pics. Remove the rods,tension rods,hoops,claws, strainers and snare strands. You can also remove the air holes from the shell. Put the heads in a warm safe place, preferably in the same room you do the disasembly in. Take your time and apply polish to every piece lightly with a clean soft cloth, let the polish dry to a haze, remove with a clean soft cloth " cloth diaper, cheesecloth, teeshirt". Not satisfied? REPEAT, as many times as you want or feel is necessary. Don't get in a hurry, which I'm sure your NOT. Don't try to polish the snare strands and you can use an old toothbrush to get the polish out of the rod threads. All said goes for cymbal and drum stands. BYE

posted by  lectroid

Your Message