VW FOX '88 having trouble starting "help!!"

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  VW FOX '88 having trouble starting "help!!"

i'm having trouble startin my 88 fox. after siting a while (couple hrs) i have trouble starting it up. turn the key starter runs, after 10-20 cranks it starts at a loooow idle then revs up 1.5-2 grand then drops back down or quits. after the next crank (or 2) it slowly idles. after idleing for a few minutes it runs fine. i have a feeling it might be a vacum problem, but i'm having trouble finding all the lines to check. the oil fill cap is fine. the dipstick top is a bit old and cracked but seems to be fiting fine. i can't take it to a qualified vw tech at the dealer here in knoxville. (they say my ride is too old. f-in BS!!) if anyone has had this prob or can help me narrow this down my debt would be due!!! thanx!!! :banghead:

posted by  SCOOT DOGG

vwhobo. Take it away!

:smoke:

:pop:

posted by  BavarianWheels

also want another corrado g60 or vr6!!

posted by  SCOOT DOGG

thanx BVRN WHLLS i was hopin that hobo would lend a god tip, but it seems he has other things to tend to. at least you have a car that could handle a bend in the road. not just a redneck/hippie hybrid!!!

posted by  SCOOT DOGG

I hope he comes back soon...

Where did that redneck hybrid thing come from ???? :doh: was I :sleep: ?

posted by  BavarianWheels

At least I know the answer to your question, but... There isn't a chance in hell that you're going to get it out of me now after reading your ignorant comment.

posted by  vwhobo

Is this car carbureted? If it is, its probably going to be your choke. Take the air cleaner off and punch the gas to the floor and release it(with the engine off and cold of course) then go look at the choke plate and it should be closed and the main throttle control should not be touching the stop but a little before it because it should be resting on the fast idle cam which gives it more gas for the rich mixture needed when an engine is cold.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Please refrain from giving advice when you know not of which you speak. The '88 Fox is most assuredly fuel injected, so at best you paragraph is pointless. At worst you have provided some (not all) incorrect information.

posted by  vwhobo

I have a 89 fox with a similar problem. So please help. :ohcrap:

posted by  Zderad

Your Message