is my fuel pump going???

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  is my fuel pump going???

I just bought a 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSE with a 3800 engine, 127,000 original miles. My problem is the car won't start when parked at a certain downhill angle--facing downhill leaning to the drivers side--I hope this makes sense. It will try to start, but it's like fuel is not getting to the engine. It will start and run just fine any other time. Could it be a fuel pump, fuel filter, or something else? It's really got me confused.

Thanks!

posted by  billiev

what's the fuel level when it doesn't start? close to empty?
does it start eventually?

if it's close to empty, the fuel pick-up might just be out of the gas level

posted by  asa67_stang

No, it was between 1/2 and 3/4 full. We were able to push the car down the driveway some to a more even spot--still going downhill, btw--and it started fine. My husband drove it to the store and back, no problem.

It must be something to do with the angle that it was parked. It would not start yesterday, so we had the car towed. It started fine at the mechanic's, and he started it several times, hoping it would act up again, but it started perfect every time. He said it could POSSIBLY be the fuel pump, but since it was behaving, he really was not comfortable replacing it at that time since it seemed to be doing fine. He said to let him know if it did it again. We drove home and parked in our driveway, and later the car would not start again. That's when we pushed it down and it started again perfect. I'll be getting in touch with him Monday, but I really wanted some " second opinions" before calling him again.

posted by  billiev

If its your fuel pump it might be dirty try putting in some of that fuel pump cleaner in your gas that you can buy at a local NAPA or any auto store.

posted by  Car Guy

tell ya what....im guessing your fuel pump has a roll over cutoff....what is does is it senses the angle the car is at and shuts off the power to the fuel pump if it senses the car is turned over...park it on the slope and overide the sensor (should be in the trunk on the...drivers side near the hinge i believe) and see what it does for you.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Your Message