91 Crown Vic Problems

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  91 Crown Vic Problems

Hello all I am new to the forum but to get to the point.

I have a 91 Crown vic with a 351 windsor, 2 barrel carb.
The problem occurs when driving and I decide to accelerate or pressing pedal to maintain speed. The car will seem like it is going to stall and has no power, even if i press pedal more. The car will slow down and then it will be fine at the slower speed. Also does this if i floor it when driving about 45 mph. In the begining it would do this when fuel was at 1/4 and all I had to do was fill it up to fix it. But no it will do it at any gas level. One more thing if I hold the pedal down when the car is screwing up it will die eventually if I dont let up off pedal.
Sorry for the long description But does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this, or what it is.
Thank You

posted by  OuterOrbiter

First off...welcome!

Secondly, I've had a similar experience that may or may not help. More than likely, not.

Check the fuel filter... :2cents:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Good and inexpensive place to start is the fuel filter if that does nothing to fix the prob get a fuel pressure test and you will most likely find a bad fuel pump.

Happened to my brothers 91 crown

Hopefully it helps

posted by  frisky

Thanks for the advice.
I will replace fuel filter and report back then

posted by  OuterOrbiter

Check the air filter, the problem is most likely in the fuel system.

posted by  DodgeRida67

They're cheap...why not.

posted by  BavarianWheels

I just put on a new air filter a month ago. But still have not changed fuel filter yet, its been raining all day

posted by  OuterOrbiter

Well I finally changed the filter and it is still doing it. Whats the possibilty of crap in the fuel tank moving around and blocking up line.
Thanks

posted by  OuterOrbiter

Get a fuel pressure gauge.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Just thought I would thank everyone for the advice.
My problem ended up being the fuel pump.
But my new problem is either my gas gauge or the thing in the tank that measure gas level.
Thanks

posted by  OuterOrbiter

My son had a similar problem with his '93 Crown Vic. He switched to a better grade of gas (Exxon or Amoco) and 93 octane. It helped his problem. Good luck.

posted by  Grannie2

how long do you sit there looking at old posts to get to some from over a year and a half ago? damn...

posted by  adamc44

Your Message