Bearing Problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Bearing Problem

:ohcrap: I drive a 99 Alero GLS model. When I drive there is a slight grinding from in front and below me, and it increases when my wheels are not straight. My Tech teacher tells me he thinks it is probably a bearing problem. I am curious as to what would be the probability of this, what other problems it could be and what I could do to fix it then. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it, thanks.

posted by  Flame Roller

Increases when the wheels arent strait...hm. I know nothing about this model but is this car front wheel drive?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Did you notice there is a section in this forum called "Introduce Yourself"? You should use it.

Without seeing the car, your teacher is probably correct. The Alero is famous for eating front wheel bearings, at least the original factory wheel bearings. That's really about all there is to tell you. I don't know what other problems you have or what to do to fix them. You have the car, not me and my crystal ball is broken today.

posted by  vwhobo

My car is FWD. it is quite similar I believe to the Grand Am. Also I wrote a little more about myself in the introduce yourself forum. Beyond that can anyone help me with this problem. As I said there is a grinding type noise and it intensifies if I am not straight (as in the axle is turned and thus the wheels are). I hope someone can help explain what needs to be done to rectify/fix this. I don't wanna be dependant upon some body shop/mechanic joint.

posted by  Flame Roller

Wow, very interesting. Did you read my reply directly above, that's very interesting too and answers your question.

posted by  vwhobo

You could have saved yourself alot of typing and just used these five words; "I know nothing about this".

posted by  vwhobo

First of all, no one in here can "fix" your car. We'd all have to have the car in our possesion to do so. What we can do with the right amount of technical information is to point you in the correct direction as best as possible in an online arena.

Your Alero does not have an "axle." It has TWO independantly driven axle(s), each with inner and outter constant velocity joints on either end. They protrude from the "automatic transaxle," coined from the automatic transmission and differential combination making up the front wheel drive-line.

You have not given us enough information on here to even point you in the right direction. You could have ANYthing going on from wheel bearing failure to a worn out brake pad rubbing against the rotor which WOULD be more noticable when turning the wheels. You could also have the rotor cover shim pad/cover plate (if applicable) that is thin sheet metal bent in close contact with the rotor or you could have a damn rock of twig stuck in there somehow. You have not told us whether you can feel this rubbing sound in the steering wheel, if you notice it more when turning right or left.......is it only prevalent when you are lock to lock turning or when you are slightly turning the front end? Also, grab the wheel and shake it around, does there feel like any run-out in the wheel bearing? If so, is it excessive? Raise the whole front end of the car off the ground, start the engine and place the trans in drive. Allow the wheels to spin and see what you hear.....hit the gas a little to spin the wheel faster. You may or may not hear the bearings but it is something to check. If they are SHOT, you'll more than likely hear them, if just a little wear, it may be weight sensitive.

(The following does not whole-heartedly apply to the posting that I just responded to, it is partially applicable.)

One point that I will make for all you people that think VWHOBO is an asshole and arrogant and that come on here with half-assed postings that then turn around when you get a response that is in your opinion "sub-optimal" and get pissed off is this: Working on a car is totally a technical arena. No one, no matter what level of experience and whatnot can fix or repair anything without the correct information to do it. It can be difficult enough to fix the damn things when you have them in your garage, yet alone listening to some grocery store cashier that does not know shit from shinola about cars describe their problems as, "My car goes tick tick kaboom, please tell me what's wrong!!??" This is a dramatization for the most part, but many of you that post in here supply either NO technical information OR you don't HAVE any information and then you get pissed off because people write you smart-assed replies. I am one to tell it straight up and I believe a good 60% of the population in the USA are morons that should be executed, and if you are one of these people I just described, you fit the build. :cussing: You would not go to a doctor and tell him, gee, i just feel bad, what is wrong with me? He's gonna ask you 50 million questions that you never answered that you could have already addressed for the most part had you had a clue. :screwy: So if you are just a ****ing stupid dumbass, then I am going to call your bluff just like VWHOBO does, and I have YET to disagree with anything he's written about or to anyone in here. He's helped me numerous times and he knows what he's doing. He can help anyone if you give him useful information. If you're not smart enough to do that, then don't bother staking your claim in here;no one cares. :thumbs:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Good on ya!

Well said, cmeseadoin! :thumbs:

posted by  BavarianWheels

http://www.ianai.net/jokes/forumpix/GoYou.gif

posted by  snoopewite

Thanks, I need to hear something like that every now and then. It almost makes the bullsh*t I deal with here worthwhile. Notice I said almost.:thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Yes, VWHOBO can be arrogant and an asshole at times and has EVERY rite to be. How he stands to put up with most of this BULL, is beyond me. Not being from the auto technical world of dealing with the public{one on one} I did deal with them for 31 yrs {one on one} in the data communications tech field. This may be why I'm such a arrogant asshole. I don't know what the problem is, just fix it :cussing:

posted by  lectroid

Love the attatchment.:thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

I'm afraid to open an attachment titled as such... :doh:

posted by  BavarianWheels

It's not obscene but it is offensive. That's why I like it.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message