i need electrical help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  i need electrical help

Hey evrybody,
Any electricians or mechanics with good electrical experience....??
anyways i want to install a secuirty "button" that disengages the battery to the main power so the ignition does not work .......but i am havng troublw with getting the wires all sorted...
what i need to know is...
1. the connections to be made
2. whether the battery should be completely cut off or is there a way to just disengage the ignition
3 and no i CANT HAVE A SECURITY SYSTM INSTALLED AS the car is not worth it.. :orglaugh: :orglaugh: :evil: so a "button" has got to do....

Please help me out...
:orglaugh: :doh:

posted by  loz5013

Post number one should always be in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

Aside from that there are several ways to do what you want. Of course without knowing what kind of car you have it makes it just a little more difficult. Knowing small details like that help so much when doing this new fangled online thing. Maybe someone else will have their crystal ball up and running today.

At any rate, I'm sure sometime today you'll get advice from our own self proclaimed "worlds greatest 'machinic' and 'electritian'" and then you guys can hang out, chew the fat and transfer some information. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

loz5013, Welcome to the forums. Sorry about vwhobo, he apparently has problems. Anyway, there are a few ways you can do this "button" thing. Your wanting to cut the power off to the ignition. No button, but a switch rather. I would not in ANY way use it to open/close the flow of electricity from the batter to ground or to the starter because of the current needed to start the car. Making the wire longer would induce more resistance and create a bigger current draw which would shorten the life of your starter and battery. What you need to do is use a hidden switch yo open/close current flow to the starter soliniod.

posted by  DodgeRida67

See, I told ya he'd be here.

Your method of course will do nothing to stop even a poor car thief. If all you do is interrupt power to the solenoid you have merely slowed them down. Most fourth grade dropouts know how to jump a starter. Doing it your way they'll still have ignition and away they go.

Read his post. He stated "i want to install a secuirty "button" that disengages the battery to the main power so the ignition does not work". Your (non) solution falls well short of that goal.

posted by  vwhobo

I forgot to mention the obvious but there are a few ways to do this but let me know what you think. I'll be glad to give you more ideas if you want more. Always remember though you want to switch ground and not a wire carrying a positive charge("hot" wire) incase you deside to take this into your own hands.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I always believe in giving credit where credit is due. You finally got something right.

Two things actually including earlier when you said he'd need to use a switch. Good on ya.

posted by  vwhobo

Electrician to the resque.

posted by  DodgeRida67

But I have no idea what a "resque" is. Sounds very French to me. Maybe you should use it on the Citroen van question.

posted by  vwhobo

You know exacly what it means. Use your imagination.

posted by  DodgeRida67

okay...now...i know i was abrupt in getting a straightout demand for help without the formal introductions and stuff but it was my need of the day...
unlike other people i know Dodgerida67 was quite helpful.........
well dodgey ol`e mate cheerio....i got it done...The SWiTch I installed was still gonna be cut off the battery at the source of ignition....i attached one wire to the battery white and yellow ....and one to the red "Suluph"thats the ignition or starter as we call here natively...
i overlooked the earthing and neutralizing of th direct current...i don`t really care what happens thereon...i got meself a fancy dandy burgular DeMoRalizer..... :2cents: and it was cheap tooo

posted by  loz5013

Your Message