89 pontiac bonneville timing chain

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  89 pontiac bonneville timing chain

just curious..lost the timing chain on my v-6 pontiac..after 400 bucks worth of labor my mechanic calls to say that they have to go back ,pull off heads and check valves and possibly replace other parts such as valves orankshaft because when a timing chain breaks it does more damage to other parts inside..Is this true or am I being taken for a ride ?

posted by  ricka

yes it does happen. when the timming chain breaks it stops the cam shaft from turning, thus leaving valves open and prone to being hit by a piston. if this is the case, ask to see the bent valve (or damaged part) just so you dont get hosed!!!!

also, does the car run good now? if so dont take it back! it doesnt make sence to fix something that isnt broke!!!!!!!!!

posted by  glagon1979

dont know if it runs good yet..its currently being worked on..I bought the car for 200 bucks and its been running great for about 6 months til ..one night comming home from work ...it just died and wouldnt restart..my mechanic called and said it was the timing chain ( there goes 400 $ ) he called back 3 days later to say that even after putting in a new chain and plugs and stuff it was still not running right and he needed to take it back apart to check the pistons and stuff ( another 4 to 500 bucks )..still waiting for that call back.however i did tell him i wanted the old parts ..what do you want a pic of? the car? or the old parts ? oh and thanks for the reply

posted by  ricka

i was under the impression that you had the car back and you were driving it again. if it still isnt running right, chances are what i explained above probably happened. just be thankfull that is not a newer car where it would cost twice what he is gonna charge you.

posted by  glagon1979

still dont have the car back..all the push rods were bent,broken timing chain and stripped gear,new plugs and wires.still not running right tho it runs ok at high speed but at low and idle its very rough as tho its only running on 5 cyclinders,i am told it now needs a new coil box and hopefully it will run like new after that :banghead:

posted by  ricka

Your Message