1989 Mustang LX Convertible - Trans problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1989 Mustang LX Convertible - Trans problem

Car: 1989 Ford Mustang LX conv.

Yeah, I got a friend that's puzzled as to what could be the cause of this, i'm going to explain it as best I can without having driven it.

He tells me that if you just put the car into drive (with overdrive on), it won't move. You've got to start at 1, then 2, then D, then overdrive would work. Basically, it's like you're driving an automatic car like you would drive a manual one. Could this be some kind of sensor problem, or is it something deep down in the guts of the tranny?

I know there's little information given here, but I'm going to drive it later this week to see exactly what he means. If you could tell me things to note while I'm driving it, or specific ways or thigs to test that could help, then by all means, please do.

posted by  digital_shad0w

From the information given, it just sounds like the transmission is gone. But then again, you didn't really give a lot of information.

Just wait til you give the car a drive for yourself.

posted by  Vassar

As has already been established, that's not nearly enough info. I can tell you that from your decription the pump, clutches, apply pistons and band are at least working if not in good shape. Having seen that problem with four and six cylinder Mustangs before I can also tell you that you probably have something clogging the valve body, most likely trash from not keeping up with fluid and filter maintenance. The longer it gets driven the more damage will be done which means more $$$ in the long run. Park it until you can get it fixed.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message