1988 Sunbird Tranny swap??

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1988 Sunbird Tranny swap??

Has anyone ever tried to swap out the automatic transmission for a manual in a 1988 pontiac sunbird with the 2.0L?? I have had the car for about a year now and I have been wanting to make it standard for a while now. I'm just not sure what all would have to be done to make it work. Would everythign be able to bolt right up or woudl some major custom work have to be done in order for it to all work. I do have some car knowledge and I think I could pull it off.

Just couries if anyone here has some tips or suggestions or info

thanks.

posted by  yamer_hammer

I'm sure there are some with information.

I'd suggest a post in the "Introduce Yourself" thread first. You'll be better off... :thumbs:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Some people just don't get it... Even after it's spelled out for them.

posted by  vwhobo

yamer_hammer: :hi:

I have never done an engine swap on that particular vehicle, but typical is the case to have custom work required when you are talking about taking a GM manufactured automatic transmission vehicle and converting it to a manual transmission with clutch pedal and all linkage connections, nevermind the bolt up of the trans to the engine. That would make common sense to me. :thumbs: You are talking about a total custom build here and if you only have "some" car experience, that does not tell me much. I question what that means. You are more than likely going to need to some specialty tools and a few other things, as well as the knowledge of exactly what you are doing to "pull it off."

We like to see an introduction posting in the "introduce yourself" section on this chat forum. Any newcomer will be told that prior to anyone answering a first posting for the most part. The reason for this is that there are a certain group of regulars that frequent this forum and we all like to get to know a little bit about a person rather than folks coming in here with questions verbatim. It allows us to know more about you and what you are looking for. It might seem cheesy, but that is what we do here. :hi: Once you introduce yourself, we'll all pull together and see what we can come up with. "VWHOBO" in here has many years (30 odd) experience with cars of all types. I would bet my rear that he could provide some very specific and relative info. to you regarding what you are trying to do. All we ask in here is that we are given technical details and not a general problem description such as "my car is broke, please help me." I am not saying that you did this, I am just trying to set a standard in a nice fashion. All of us love cars that come in here and in order for us to efficiently help you to help yourself, help us by giving us all the info you can. :mrgreen:

posted by  cmeseadoin

For the record.

I'm not betting anything of the like. :laughing:

posted by  BavarianWheels

:laughing:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message