95 Toyota Tercel a few problems need help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  95 Toyota Tercel a few problems need help

HI all..Im a brand nooby and I first like to say how much I love this forum so far and I likt to say hi to all. I got a 1995 toyota Tercel and got a few problemst: doesn't pass deq, alot of smokes come out in the morning, and the transmission is not switching gear correctly, and my gas doesn't kick in normally.

About the transmission, When I press on the gas, it would go but it doens't switch to second gear at the right rpm automatically, I have to let go of the gas at certain rpm and then it will switch gear. The local mech say the transmission or whatever is messed up and will charge me a fortune and Im a student and broke :mrgreen:

About the gas acceleration, say Im at a stop postion and press on the gas to go, it would hesitates first then the gas kicks in, like it's clog up or somthing or not smooth. I mean it has no instant acceleration, it would hesitates slowly then the gas would come in. It never done that, but now it does after he checked it.

About the smoke, there is a lot of smoke when I wake up in the morning and start it up, it would have a lot of smoke and I have to keep in warm up for like 15 20 minutes before it goes away. Please let me know is there anything I could do to help the problems or fix it, if not, I might have to sell my car :(

posted by  cat5

Well, if you are to ask me, the Tercel is an excellent car for the price. I had a driving instructor who had one that hit nearly 400,000 miles before any major problems.

Anyway, about the transmission, have you check the transmission fluid? Are you using the correct fluid? Believe it or not, some old cars will hesitate changing gears and that is all normal. How many miles does the car have?

As for the gas and acceleration, check your fuel lines. I had an '88 Dodge Ram that had the exact same problem! Come to find out, the fuel lines had a hole, which was letting to much air to the engine, causing it to hesitate. Do you have any problems when you stomp the gas pedal? Like major hesitation before the car will actually move? Do you have trouble getting up steep hills, whether you press the gas to the floor or not?

About the morning problems... Check your oil levels. Do you check your oil every week or so? What kind of weather do you have in your area? Always cold, hot?

Either way, get back and we've got a couple awesome car people on the site. Just to name a few off hand, ChrisV and vwhobo are excellent with any type of car.

posted by  Vassar

I dont know about any other problems, I have a good idea about your smoke problem in the moring. Its called condinsation (sp). Every car will "smoke" in the moreing espessaly if left outside over night. Just look around.

posted by  Car Guy

Thank you so much, the Tercel I have now runs very very smooth and it's at 180K I think and I never worry about it beside those problems. Hearing you hit 400K makes me love this baby more if it could really do that :mrgreen: Ok about the transmission, I have checked the transmission fluid but I have no idea how to read it or tell whether it's the right kind. Right now when I pulled up the transmission fluid measure stick, it has two marks, the one at the bottom say cool then another one an inch and a half above it read hot, and a word DEXRON II print on the stick after that.

I cleaned the stick and put it back in and pulled it out, for some reason, the fluid goes way passed or above the "hot" mark like another half an inch above the hot mark. I dont' know if this is normal or not but that's where the fluid level is. I have no idea what kind of fluid is in there but it's a little light red or light purple color. The car now has around 180k on it.

About fuel lines, I dont' know much about them and where to check but where ever there is a line or a hose or a tube, I have looked and checked but don't see any visible serious damaged lines or misplaced lines, but I haven't done a complete check yet but I will do it again today later. About the gas, if Im at a stopped position and stomped on it, it would hesitates a lot like hickups and then the gas would kick in afew seconds after that. As for steep hills, I haven't got any problems yes because as long that the car is moving, the gas don't hesitate, but sometimes it feels like it doesn't have a lot of power for climbing or go up hills. Sometimes the slope is too steep, I would press on the gas hard and the engine rev up so much and there would be smoke coming out from the back.I have tried to drain some engine oil and it does help with the smoke, but no matter what, in the morning when I start it up, there would be smoke comming out for a few minutes.

Im in Portland Oregon and the weather right now is cold adn wet and I would say the temperature right now is around 40F to 50F generally. I alwasy check my oil and I have changed it many times but doesn't help with the smoke at all, it helps if I release some out though. Right now I got Penzoil 30-40 in it is this ok?

I will get back more info after I check the car more today. Please help!

posted by  cat5

I live in Portland Oregon as well. And your smoke problem in the moring is do to condinsation build up in your exust pipe most likely. Is your car stored outside? If so this is normal. Look at all the other cars in the moring they will have smoke coming out there pipes as well. As for the oil I would think that it would take 10W 30. The transmision stick goes like this when the engin is cold you then the fluild should be up to the "cold" mark if the engine is hot then it should be up to the "hot" mark.

posted by  Car Guy

its called condensation. its basic in almost every high school science course. :roll:

posted by  SuperJew

Yes I know what you mean but my smoke doesnt' smell like condensation at all. It's solid heavy smoke not just condesation or water vapors. I know what you mean when the vapors come out that's normal when it's cold and then hot, but in this case, this is serious smoke like you burned somthing and then the smoke come out. It's that kind of smoke.

posted by  cat5

hmmmmm Well I gave you all that iI know I would ask VWHOBO. Hope all works out ill tell you if something comes to me.

posted by  Car Guy

cool to see a neighbor here. If you got other suggestions, please feel free to suggest :)

posted by  cat5

If you're noticing white smoke as you drive...it's not "condensation."

Where there is smoke...there's fire.

posted by  BavarianWheels

...and when there's fire, theres dead people! :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

Well, back to the transmission. Incase you don't know, the "cold" and "hot" on the dipstick for the transmission mean basically running and non. Hot meaning the car is running, or has been running long enough for the engine to warm up, cold meaning the car hasn't been run and the engine is still cold. You should usually check your transmission fluid with the car RUNNING and make sure you look at the fluid level compared to the "hot" reading on the dipstick. As for the "DEXRON II", that is the type of transmission fluid your transmission needs. You really should have the transmission levels the exact same as what the dipstick specifies, if not, that could cause some transmission problems. :banghead:

Another possibility of the engine hesitation could possibly be spark plugs and wires. Have you changed the plugs and wires since you've had the car? They should be burnt up, or just displaced in the cylinder, causing a misfire.

As someone else already mentioned, condensation from an engine in low temperatures is normal. Have you tried using a lighter weight oil? Say, 5W-30, instead of 10W-30? The 5W would take less time to warm up because it's not as thick as the 10W.

Either way, keep trying and let us know what's going on. :thumbs:

posted by  Vassar

Well, I think I will take a look at that today and see if I need to change the spark plugs, I might as well. The mech told me that some how there is a misfire in the third spark plug, so I will look at that too and my cousin told me this special plug cost me 80 bucks to replace. dont know why but if it does misfire then there is somthing to fix I guess. Im looking at the fuel filter and see if I replace that. I will try all these and get back with you awsome people. Please feel free to let me know what else I should check or look into.

posted by  cat5

Your cousin told you spark plugs would cost you $80?

The spark plugs and wires shouldn't cost you anymore than about $30, if even that.

posted by  Vassar

HI...thanks again all. My cousin said that the last two spark plugs has somthing to do with the carburator system and these are special plugs or whatever that will cost more. I have no idea but Im checking things out now.

posted by  cat5

The Toyota (OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer) plugs are about $5 per plug, and the sites I've looked at say nothing about that model having some sort of special plugs.

posted by  Vassar

First of all, in regards to the dip-stick for transmission fluid level dilema that Vassar expanded on.......HOT does NOT mean sole engine running and warm or hot! It means the car has been driven (so transmission is also hot) up to and is AT normal operating temperature. This does NOT mean you start the car and let JUST the engine warm up. In this case, the trans. would not be hot. Vassar's explanation of this was 88% correct, however you have to remember you are giving advise to people that know little or nothing about cars. Specifics are absolutely necessary. Vassar, if this is what you MEANT, then you need to clarify your definition of "running" when you are talking to a non-car individual who could misinterpret what you are saying. "Running" the vehilce on the road to normal operating temp. will allow the transmission to warm up in conjunction with the engine.

SPECIFICS: Park the vehicle and run the tran. gear selector through all drive ranges while the engine is running for about 3 seconds then return the shift selector to "P" and check the fluid at the "HOT" reading (or as owners manual indicates). I ALWAYS check fluid when the ENTIRE car is at OPERATING temperature and would recommend to do so to anyone else. You have thouroughly circulated the fluid through all trans components and have also compensated for all laws of thermodynamics....now you can obtain an accurate reading.

P.S.> Cat5, I would tend to disregard anything your cousin says about this problem. If he thinks that there is a problem with two spark plugs coordinating to the carb.......he is out in left field. That 95' is fuel injected, carbs on Toyota's went out in the mid-80's.

posted by  cmeseadoin

CAT5, has anyone hooked your car up to the OBD-I computer (unless Toyota went to OBD-II a year early) to see if there were any codes in the computer? If you've eliminated ignition as the source of the hesitation and you've done an engine "tune-up," is it possible that you have somehow gotten a bad tank of gas or water in your gas tank? I've seen it many times. The problem that you are describing with hesitation could be a precursor to that catalyst causing the problem.

What I really think you need to do is to find yourself a good technician locally that knows all of the things to do, and is familiar with what to check and in what order to check things. Always look for simple things first. This leads to a situation where you are not spending needless hours and more importantly, needless dollars, to fix the problem. If the car has never had a tune up, then that would be recommended anyway. That typically includes but is not limited to: oil change, transmission fluid service if needed, replacement of the spark plugs, fuel filter, cap, rotor and plug wires. All of this depends on what your vehicle is equipped with engine-wise. I am just interested that this forum thread has gone on for as long as it has and with what I can thus far, not a sole has asked you for the details on what engine you have? What is the CID(cubic inch displacement) if you know it and I can convert that into Liters...or do you know the literage of the engine? This might help anyone look for "OEM specs." on the vehicle. Bottom line from the first posting is that none of us have enough info to isolate your problem because there was not enough info. given. Since you posted, people have asked you questions to help narrow it down......but please give us all you know.

My honest opinion just like with many things.......cars, especially newer ones, are extremely complicated pieces of machinery that are precision balanced in their workings. If you do not understand them, do not have the skills and knowledge to service them, DON'T do it. You can damage electrical systems as well as possibly injure yourself. We are never going to be able to "fix" the car for you in this chat medium unless we're all extremely fortunate and we tell you something that you do and it works...which can happen. I am just encouraging you to get some ideas from us.....then as far as I can see is applicable to this scenario, you need to have someone that knows what they are doing and what to look for work on your car.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Thanks all, Im still checking. I think I will take it out for a tune up anywasy and see if this help. I will get new spark plugs for it tomoorow and change them and see if this help. I probably try a new fuel filter. Will get back.

posted by  cat5

No problemo, I'd love to know what you find out. :smoke:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Bottom line from the first posting is that none of us have enough info to isolate your problem because there was not enough info. given. Since you posted, people have asked you questions to help narrow it down......but please give us all you know.

My honest opinion just like with many things.......cars, especially newer ones, are extremely complicated pieces of machinery that are precision balanced in their workings. If you do not understand them, do not have the skills and knowledge to service them, DON'T do it. You can damage electrical systems as well as possibly injure yourself. We are never going to be able to "fix" the car for you in this chat medium unless we're all extremely fortunate and we tell you something that you do and it works...which can happen. I am just encouraging you to get some ideas from us.....then as far as I can see is applicable to this scenario, you need to have someone that knows what they are doing and what to look for work on your car.[/QUOTE]

Thanh you sir for the advice, but my approach is the hardware of course and anyone can do these. After all, the main problems seem to be the hardware and can be changed easily.

posted by  cat5

Good luck. Gee, I did not know that anyone can replace "hardware" on a vehicle?! I learn something everyday! :clap: I don't know about you or anyone else in here, but I would not trust anyone(or many) but myself to touch my cars, not even to replace the windsheild wipers with refills. HA! I'd watch the usage of the word "anyone." In my line of sight there are PLENTY of people out there who are not car savy. If you can do it, have at it! :thumbs:

Thanh you sir for the advice, but my approach is the hardware of course and anyone can do these. After all, the main problems seem to be the hardware and can be changed easily.[/QUOTE]

posted by  cmeseadoin

[/QUOTE]

I think the correct reply should have been " thanks for nothing dumbass, why did I stop in here" :cussing: I just wanted help!

posted by  lectroid

I think the correct reply should have been " thanks for nothing dumbass, why did I stop in here" :cussing: I just wanted help![/QUOTE]

hehe...thanks for the understanding. For real, I dont' have that kind of money and whatever I can do I will do. I rather look at this see what kind of help I can get first and try it out. I dont' have that kind of money to take it to someone at anytime. I rather try and ask for help first that's why Im here.

posted by  cat5

(This posting applies to Lectroid)

I think the correct reply should have been " thanks for nothing dumbass, why did I stop in here" :cussing: I just wanted help![/QUOTE]

I think I gave Cat5 some rather good technical information as well as what I would call help with the limited TECHNICAL information I was working with. This is a forum where we give TECHNICAL answers and expect technical information. I replied to the posting with what I thought would help and you type that SH*& back to me?? Why don't you give Cat5 some of that BRILLIANT car knowledge you have on this situation and fix his car for him then you idiot!!?? I guess I don't have to tell you that since you seem to be doing a GREAT job indicting yourself!

You don't see anyone else in here trying to help Cat5 with his dilema over the weekend do you? All those of you, other than Cat5 and myself, are doing is typing BS posting that have NO content of which will fix his problem. Furthermore, after trying to help Cat5, I then just stated my opinion on what he should do in an attempt to guide him correctly. If Cat5 did not want the help, then he came to the wrong place and can get the hell out of this chat forum.

Cat5, this is for you with the return comment from Lectroids posting of "FOR REAL....": You came in here looking for help. I am not some half assed idiot that knows jack about cars. I told you what I did because it is a fact with regards to not touching your car unless you know what you are doing. I never said "CAT5, don't TOUCH your car." I simply gave you some kind advisment. Only you know what you are capable of doing yourself. You think I honestly give a flying rat's ass whether your car gets fixed when you have that kind of attitude? Forget that!!! All of my cars are in the garage and running just fine. I understand your "try and do it myself" attitude and I think you could have left it at that. I tried to help you and got a "F" you instead. That's great guys.......carry on. I am sure Lectroid has plenty more worthless knowledge that he can enlighten you with regarding how to fix your car's problems since we already know he's such a cunning linguist. :screwy: We'll see if VWHOBO wants to jump in and help now. Failing that guys, I think I shall sit back and read your posting back and forth and get my humor for the day. :clap:

Bottom line: don't come into this chat forum unless you want help, and we're sorry if you don't like the information given. TOO damn bad!

posted by  cmeseadoin

HI cmeseadoin, didn't mean to offend you if anything did. But I think people here so far have given great info and that's what we all need, jsut any kind of help we could and that, I believe, is what this forum is for. So far all the info given by others are excellent info and I dont' know what else I could possibly ask for because that's the kind of info I expect anyways.

I dont' think any of us would expect to come here and get our car fixed all the time, it takes the person acutally own the car to do his thing and at the same time, ask for advice to look out for to help his problem. If we dont' got got that kind of money, and even if we dont' know much, I believe any of us would come for help and tips to see what we could do and that's what this forum is for.

posted by  cat5

I thought you did too. Although, it was left handed,that post was a compliment. Cat seemed to disregard, your time,knowledge and effort. You seem to be a person that is very smart, to smart to dumb down and to dumb to wise up. You really need to lighten up and get a grip.

As far as you sitting back and getting your dose of humor,You don't seem to have a sense of humor.http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/72131/enteronly.jpg This sign makes a statement, but it is humorous.
Hope you can digest this in the way it was intended,but I doubt it.

posted by  lectroid

Lectroid,

I cannot see how this was all supposed to be a "left handed" compliment to me in any way. You posted your comments that Cat5's posting should have been "Thanks for the help dumbass....." (referencing me) right after Cat5 posted: "Thanh you sir for the advice, but my approach is the hardware of course and anyone can do these. After all, the main problems seem to be the hardware and can be changed easily." This was an attempt to mock me by indicating that I gave him no good advise and that all I did was to tell him to take his car into a qualified shop when in fact I gave him solid information to try and help him and then just happened to say (out of my preofessional opinion) that is he was not sure or qualified with respect to what he was doing, then he needs to be careful and may want to consider taking the vehicle in. I can't have too much of a sence of humor when I come on here trying to help someone and get shot down for it. I find that an insult, especially seeing as I did not see you attempting to help him technically with his car's issues. Whatever, I am done with that.

You're right, at first Cat5 did seem to discount the credit I think I was due for helping him and this was inherrently obvious when he came back to your reply with: "For real....etc." and went on to talk about how he did not have the money for a shop, et al. Well, whether you have the money or not does not change the correct professional advise that someone should give in this forum. If you are not qualified, you need not touch a vehicles electrical system not components and as I mentioned to Cat5, only he knows what he is capable of.

I appreciate the delinquent recognition of my efforts here. I will take that to mean you all did not really mean what I interpreted it as, but go back and read the postings in sequential order of how they were written and I am more than sure you'll see how there was no other choice for how to take it. I spend a lot of time in here cruising postings and seeing if there are any ideas that I have to help people. When I get replies like what I got here, calling me a dumbass indirectly, I can't see too much humor in that.

Cat5, in response to you, appology accepted. After reading all of the above, I am sure you, too, can appreciate where I was coming from here. People, in addition to me, come in here to help and it is so very nice to know that when we do, it is appreciated. :thumbs:

Also, you will not from other previous postings of others, they are asked to post a short few comments about themselves in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF forum before anyone will even attempt at helping them. It is looked upon as a general courtesy when you come into a group of new people whether it be online or in a real social setting. We would much rather this approach than you just typing out your request and expecting help. Notice I did not ask you to do that, seeing as no one else did either....I just jumped right in. I looked at the INTRODUCE YOURSELF forum and I could have missed something, but I see nothing saying hello to the forum for you. Please make a note of that for next time.

posted by  cmeseadoin

Also, you will not from other previous postings of others, they are asked to post a short few comments about themselves in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF forum before anyone will even attempt at helping them. It is looked upon as a general courtesy when you come into a group of new people whether it be online or in a real social setting. We would much rather this approach than you just typing out your request and expecting help. Notice I did not ask you to do that, seeing as no one else did either....I just jumped right in. I looked at the INTRODUCE YOURSELF forum and I could have missed something, but I see nothing saying hello to the forum for you. Please make a note of that for next time.[/QUOTE]

You know what, I think you need to relax. We come here for feedbacks and tips and that's it. Keep it simple mentally. You started to go on and on and on about technical stuff and dos and don'ts, I guess you are very smart so I dont' have that kind of level to talk to you. But I thank you really.

About your introducing yourself, you might have missed it but here is your fyi. It's right on top and right at the beggining wonder how you have missed it. Thank you anyways again.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1739

posted by  cat5

:doh:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Cat5,

Hence the disclaimer in the posting by me nonetheless....." I looked at the INTRODUCE YOURSELF forum and I could have missed something, but I see nothing saying hello to the forum for you. Please make a note of that for next time." I said I could have missed something. Sorry for the inconvenience of a slight dissertation on the IY thing, however, I don't have time to cruise every single posting on there. Most people come in and DON'T say hello first, that is why I politely explained to you why we do that. I know, my fault for assuming you did not post a "hello."

About the relaxing, sorry that is just not my personality. I don't much appreciate it when I spend my time helping people, aka., YOU...and then I am pissed on by people's comments such as Lectroid in this case...calling me a dumbass and having you affirm that with a "for real" comment. If someone doesn't want nor appreciate the help in here and can do everything themselves, fix the car! Thanks for stopping by. :clap:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Hi all..here's my updates. I opened up all the tubes whatever I can and just clean around them and put them back. I also removed the spark plugs and then clean them with gasoline at the end and put them back. I changed a air filter also and also put in some new quality supreme gas and walaaa.....the hesitation is gone. Now I dont' have to sell my car. Thanks all for the tips and helps. I drain the oil and using at half stick now and not up to full and it does help with the smoke, it doesnt stay long at all maybe about 5 minutes and then go away, enough time for a warm up car anyways. About the transmission, I might have to have it repaird or put in a new one but I will ask around see if any tech I know will do it for a reasonable price then I might have to do that. After this, it's should be ok I hope. I want to thank all for your time and advices.

posted by  cat5

Awesome, glad it worked for you Cat5. Now get that trans looked at and call it done. HAPPY MOTORING!! :clap: :clap:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message