Ok Problem Number 2

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Ok Problem Number 2

Ok, now I am not looking to fix this one myself... just get more info on it... to see what in the world could be the problem.

Ok again, 97 Mazda 626 automatic 4 cyc.

The gearshifter is getting stuck in park. It has a little keyhole on the base of the shifter. It was at one point not doing it hardly ever, now it's getting stuck probably 97 percent of the time. I can start the car up, press the brake and when I try to put the car in to reverse or whatever gear, the button will not push in at ALL. Before when it was just doing it minimally, I would just wiggle the shifter, steering wheel, turn it off/on til it worked... But now it's to the point where I had to have another key made, I start the car, press the brake, put the other key in the keyhole on the shifter, turn the key, press the button and pull the shifter back.

Now when the key is in, the shifter acts PERFECTLY normal... I do not know what the deal is with this! But it is driving me insane!

What do you think? This is blowing my mind.

*Oh and I would like to add, it's not that the steer wheel is locked... it turns all the way both directions when the shifter is stuck

posted by  sparkli

I had this problem with my '89 Acura Legend. Not a fun problem to fix, but I had to get a new shifter lock, which was a #$%#$ to install!

From what you've said, it sounds like you have either (a) a problem with your shifter lock or (b) a problem with the shifter button.

That is all I can really tell you on the subject, because I don't know much about shifting and transmissions.

posted by  Vassar

Have you ever heard of the technical term for the shifter mechanism....."Brake-Shift interlock? From your posting, there is a little opacity in your description of the problem. You say........

*******I can start the car up, press the brake and when I try to put the car in to reverse or whatever gear, the button will not push in at ALL. Before when it was just doing it minimally, I would just wiggle the shifter, steering wheel, turn it off/on til it worked... But now it's to the point where I had to have another key made, I start the car, press the brake, put the other key in the keyhole on the shifter, turn the key, press the button and pull the shifter back.

Now when the key is in, the shifter acts PERFECTLY normal... I do not know what the deal is with this! But it is driving me insane!*******

I am assuming the "now when the key is in...." refers to when you have this second key in the key hole slot for the shifter AND one in the ignition, correct? That key slot is there to operate the shift control mechanism manually if for some reason it needs to be, IE) your case.

In the absense of more information such as case history, any electrical work been done to the car??....or anything else.....it sounds like a good ole' case of "brake-shift interlock" and the electrically actuated shift solenoid going out or gone. :smoke:

posted by  cmeseadoin

Your Message