1993 ford ranger overheating

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1993 ford ranger overheating

My husband has a 1993 ford ranger that overheats all the time, we don't have the money to keep putting in new parts trying this and that. it starts to overheat between work and home which is only a 15 min drive the waterpump is new as well as a few other parts he also flushed the radiator. Any idea's what else to look for?? Please help as he needs this to get back and forth to work. Thanks

posted by  butterflyjules5

Did he replace the thermostat?

posted by  97Talonchik

Yes that was the 1st thing he changed

I'm sure you girls are having a nice time chatting, but before we start trading recipes, can we start here (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200) and get some information flowing? Thanks.

posted by  vwhobo

this might be a long shot but maybe the thermatic fan is freewheeling

posted by  albertademon

Is the check engine light on at all? If it is run the codes. There really could be any number of things causing it to overheat.

posted by  97Talonchik

it is a 1993, ford ranger 4.0 5 speed.....he has replaced the engine gaskets, lower raditor hose, thermostat, and freeze plug.

Here is the odd thing, we can fill up the raditaor and sometimes in as little as 10 mins of driving and sometimes 2 days later the fluid is low but yet there is no signs what so ever of fluid leaking.

Does he do alot of stop and go driving? Or is it more highway driving?

posted by  x1/9-rally

Both on weekdays it is just back and forth to work, which is only about 15 mins away...On weekends he does a little highway but not much

your best bet is to start with the basics, if your coolant is going low as you say...have a proper pressure test done to see if there are any external leaks, internal leaks may be present but not obvious, does the gauge fluctuate or just read high? start with the fluid levels and go from there, if your loosing fluid, then that is your main problem and should not go any further until you have adressed this problem.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

just check and see if your gas cap is tightened properly. Ive seen this happen many times before.

posted by  HappyPuppy

gas cap eh? wow.....i cant even comment on that one

Well if its getting hot when he's driving stoplight to stoplight, I'd say it sounds like the fan isn't working right. Does it have a clutch fan or an electric fan?

posted by  x1/9-rally

unless it's some obscure thing i have never seen...it should have a fan clutch

That what I thought too but you never know. Well anyways try spinning the fan and if it spins more than a couple rotations then the clutch on the fan is toast and needs to be replaced.

posted by  x1/9-rally

I may be a female but not blond lol

It don't spin at all

the gauge just reads high and there's no heat

After thinking about it maybe he meant "radiator cap"

I thought you said you weren't a blond :laughing: just kidding

posted by  x1/9-rally

STOP! Cease and desist. Why is it the only one in this thread that is even trying to make any sense is BanffAutoSpa_ap? You can't just go around throwing out guesses and hope to repair anything. You still don't have sufficient info. He replaced gaskets? Any gaskets in particular, or should we just guess? Why were these gaskets replaced, or maybe more importantly what was removed to replace said gaskets? Loose gas cap? Those cause overheats all the time. Go straight to the head of the class... And put on your dunce hat.

Good grief people, sometimes the best thing you can do to help is just shut up. There are a few in this thread that should take that to heart. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

The ENGINE GASKETS were changed and to get to them the heads and intake, were taken off. The reason why they were changed is because one of the freeze plugs blew on the back of one of the heads

Oh, the ENGINE GASKETS were replaced. How stupid of me not to realise that. Wait a minute, here's an incomplete list of gaskets on an engine;

Throttle body gasket, intake manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat gasket, egr gasket, cylinder head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, timing cover gasket, water pump gasket, etc, etc, etc.

Telling me or anybody that he replaced the ENGINE GASKETS means absolutely nothing. I beg of you, read this (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2200) and then give us something to work with. Better yet, if your husband is doing the work, he should be the one typing. Unless of course he's one of those that makes his wife do the dirty work for him, in which case he's not worth helping anyway.

posted by  vwhobo

well let's see if you were SMART you would know which engine gaskets need to be replaced when changing a freeze plug...As for as me doing the typing how about he works to provide for his family and don't have the time to do it so his loving wife helps him and he appriciates that....Beside I am not blond and I do know quite a bit about cars it is just some guys are so stuck on themselves and men that they think women are worthless.

Anyways i think i got enough info from THE KIND gentlemen on here suggesting the fan and fan clutch being we have sense getting that answer found that the fan is cracked Thanks to all of the NICE guys on here

1. There are 14 freeze plugs on that engine and my crystal ball is broken. I'm the only one in this thread, with the possible exception of BanffAutoSpa_ap, with the knowledge and experience to help you.

2. I didn't call you blonde, but you do appear to be useless. I don't need the "I am woman, hear me roar" bullshit because my wife is a jet aircraft mechanic, so save it.

3. If somebody keeps tossing out parts to replace and it finally fixed the problem, would that make them helpful or just lucky. We both know the answer to that.

posted by  vwhobo

...and may i piggyback onto that w/ the fact that you don't have to replace gaskets just to change a freeze plug...

posted by  dodger65

You may, but I doubt it'll matter. She doesn't want to be confused with the facts.

posted by  vwhobo

Possible exception...did you all hear that, giggidy giggidy giggidy YEAH. Movin up in the world :laughing:

Your Message